One of the nation’s deadliest roads will be given a major safety overhaul if Labor is re-elected at the federal election.

Labor’s $7.2 billion scheme would see more of the Bruce Highway, which stretches for 1673km in Queensland, finally given a long awaited upgrade.

The road connects Brisbane with Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Mackay, Townsville and Cairns.

Labor's $7.2bn plan will see the Bruce Highway which stretches for 1,673 km in Queensland, upgraded.
Labor’s $7.2bn plan will see the Bruce Highway which stretches for 1,673 km in Queensland, upgraded. (Nine)

More than 40 people were killed on the stretch in 2024, with the average number of deaths and serious injuries up to five times higher than on any major highway in New South Wales or Victoria.

Two people have already been killed this year.

Sections north of Gympie will be the first to have work done.

The plan is Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s first major funding announcement ahead of this year’s election.

It is due to be held no later than May 17.

One of the nation's deadliest roads will be given a major safety overhaul under a Labor plan.
One of the nation’s deadliest roads will be given a major safety overhaul under a Labor plan. (Nine)

He said 62 per cent of Queenslanders use the stretch of road.

“The figures are quite horrific. 41 fatalities on the Bruce Highway in 2024,” he said.

“There’s been two fatalities already in an accident this year.

“That’s why this is a priority.

“It’s a dangerous piece of highway and it needs upgrading.”

The federal government would cover 80 per cent of the cost, with the state paying the other 20 per cent. Usually the split is 50/50.

Infrastructure Minister Catherine King said the plan would save lives,

A three-year-old passenger has been killed in a crash in Rosedale, Queensland.

The biggest crash hotspots around Australia

“We know that too many people lost their lives on the Bruce Highway last year,” King told Today.

“In particular, unfortunately we have seen an increase in fatal accidents on this road, particularly that stretch from Gympie onwards.”

Queensland Ambulance Service’s Wayne Sachs from Gympie who has worked for 50 years along the road had been lobbying for change since 2009.

He said while lives have already been saved by improvements already been made in his area, more are needed.

“The fatalities have stopped, They’ve saved countless lives,” Sachs said.

Three people were killed on a Greyhound coach when it collided with four-wheel drive towing a caravan near the Wilson Creek Rest Area on the Bruce Highway at Gumlu, south of Townsville. (Nine)

‘What they’re doing by doing this is just amazing. They’re going to be saving literally thousands of lives.”

In September data from AAMI revealed the most notorious hotspots for crashes across the country, with the Bruce Highway taking third place.

The crash happened near the Wilson Creek Rest Area on the Bruce Highway at Gumlu, south of Townsville last winter.

You May Also Like

Space tourists splash down after traveling an orbit never attempted before

SpaceX is wrapping up the latest chapter in its commercial human spaceflight…

Punches fly in wild brawl between bitter NRL rival supporters at Rabbitohs versus Roosters clash at Accor Stadium

Involved more than 10 footy supporters Rival fans from Roosters and Rabbitohs…

Weekend Parting Shot: When Rich Libs Steal

Happy Friday, Gentle Readers, I pray this missive finds you well.…