Victoria’s Acting Chief Commissioner Rick Nugent has denied the job is a “poisoned chalice”, after announcing he would be the third top cop to depart in as many months.

After filling in the role to lead the state’s police force almost six weeks ago, Nugent said he knew he would struggle to meet the high demands of the job long term.

“Over the past six weeks or so, it’s become clear to me that I’m not certain that I have what it needs to do five years,” Nugent said.

“After almost four decades at Victoria Police, plus 18 months as Emergency Management Commissioner, I cannot say, hand on heart, that I have it in me to fulfil the duties of this office for the full five years,” Nugent said in a statement.

Docklands Photo shows Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Rick Nugent giving a New Years Eve wrap-up press conference.
Docklands Photo shows Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Rick Nugent giving a New Years Eve wrap-up press conference. (Scott McNaughton)

“The job of Chief Commissioner demands an exceptional candidate. It requires the strongest capabilities and a commitment to go the distance. Always on, never off, for the full five-year term.”

Nugent said his decision not to apply for the permanent role was one of the most difficult decisions of his life but he had other “passions and opportunities” he wanted to pursue.

The veteran police officer of almost 40 years stepped into the role after Shane Patton resigned in February amid a vote of no confidence from police union members.

Nugent said his decision had nothing to do with claims raised with the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC).

The claims allege Premier Jacinta Allan, Police Minister Anthony Carbines and Mr Nugent conspired to remove former deputy commissioner Neil Paterson and Mr Patton from their jobs.

“These allegations are entirely wrong and I look forward to meeting with IBAC to resolve these issues as quickly as possible,” Nugent said.

“I’ve been considering this for weeks really and I’d even drafted my email out to the workforce last week.”

Nugent insisted the role was not “a poisoned chalice”, but a “challenging job”.

After he was handpicked from Emergency Management Victoria for the interim chief job, Nugent was tipped as the top pick for the permanent role.

Yet Premier Jacinta Allan and Police Minister Anthony Carbines today defended his decision to stand down.

“I certainly respect the way Rick Nugent has gone through his consideration and respect the way he’s communicated that,” Allan said.

“He’s made public comments previously that he was going to apply, but I’m aware that he’s clearly given some reconsideration of that, and that’s a matter for him,” Carbines said.

“You know people are allowed to put their family first and make that determination.”

Nugent says he communicated to the government he would not necessarily apply for the role when he stepped into the interim gig.

Despite applications for the top job closing on Friday, Carbines was not willing to put a timeline on the recruitment process.

“The process will take as long as it takes. It’s about getting the right person,” he said.

Nugent will continue in the role until the position is filled.

“I’ll finish up at a time that works best for the organisation and also for government,” Nugent said.

“I care enormously about this organisaton and the community, I genuinely do, so it’s what’s best for them, will be my focus.”

Nugent said he was looking forward to “a fair bit of outback travel” once he is relieved of his duties.

“I’m looking forward to actually having a bit of a break,” he said.

You May Also Like

MMA event cancelled over fears of gangland hit on UFC fighter

An MMA event in Sydney later this month has been called off…

Lawn Gone Liberty: The Update

Lawn Gone Liberty: The Update

Oh, Get Out! Hamas Lied About Casualties?

This is some breaking news, tell you what. *insert eyeroll* But…

Heartbreaking new details emerge about Val Kilmer’s final days before shock death aged 65

Val Kilmer was ‘bed bound’ for years as his health failed before…