Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón has recommended Erik and Lyle Menendez be resentenced over the decades-old murder of their parents and be eligible for parole immediately.

“Resentencing is appropriate,” he said and will make the recommendation to a judge.

Gascon says there was not total agreement within his office about what should happen, but that his decision was made after a “very careful review.”

Erik Menendez (R) and brother Lyle listen to court proceedings during a 1991 court appearance.
Erik Menendez (R) and brother Lyle listen to court proceedings during a 1991 court appearance. (Lee Celano/Reuters via CNN Newsource)

A judge will ultimately decide on the brothers’ case, and a hearing on the matter has been scheduled for November 26.

Gascon told a packed media conference on Thursday (Friday AEDT) if the judge adopts his recommendation, the pair could be eligible for parole immediately.

“I believe the brothers were subject to a tremendous about of dysfunction in their home and molestation”, he said.

He also said there is no excuse for murder.

“I believe they have paid their debt to society,” Gascon said.

The hearing stems from a defence petition citing what the Menendez brothers’ lawyers argue is new evidence, as well as a recent California law on resentencing in which the court can take into consideration sentences in comparable cases.

The judge can also consider whether the defendants were victims of psychological or physical abuse, whether they are rehabilitated and whether they are a danger to society.

At their high-profile trials decades ago – one of the first cases to be televised – the brothers did not deny killing their parents, but argued they should not be convicted because they acted in self-defence after enduring a lifetime of abuse by their father.

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon said he will recommend the Menendez brothers be resentenced. (AP Photo/Eric Thayer) (AP)

A first trial ended in a mistrial after jurors deadlocked on the charges. In their second trial, much of the defense evidence about sexual abuse was excluded. The brothers were found guilty in 1996 and sentenced to life in prison.

Last year, lawyers for the Menendez brothers filed a habeas corpus petition asking the court to reconsider the conviction and sentence in light of new evidence, including a sworn statement by former Menudo boy band member Roy Rosselló, who alleged Jose Menendez sexually assaulted him in the 1980s.

The lawyers also said a letter Erik Menendez wrote to a cousin months before the killings alludes to the abuse he endured.

The defence is asking the court to either vacate the brothers’ conviction and sentence, or permit discovery and an evidentiary hearing during which they can provide proof, the petition says.

Erik Menendez and brother Lyle attend court on August 12, 1991 in Beverly Hills. (AFP)
The 1991 trial of the Menendez brothers was one of the first televised in the US.

The brothers’ story has taken on new interest following the September release of the Netflix series, Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story, co-created by Ryan Murphy and Ian Brennan. Netflix also released a documentary on the Menendez case this month featuring both men discussing what led to the killings.

Gascón, who is campaigning for reelection on a platform that includes sentencing reform, told CNN this month times have changed regarding how the public and the courts treat victims of sexual abuse.

“There is no question that a jury today would look at this case probably very differently than a jury did 35 years ago,” he said.

Last week, the brothers’ relatives made impassioned pleas for their release.

Joan Vander Molen, Kitty Menendez’s sister, said the actions of the brothers were “the desperate response of two boys trying to survive the unspeakable cruelty of their father.”

“They were just children. Children who could have been protected and were instead brutalized in the most horrific ways,” she said.

You May Also Like

‘Snow White’ bombed so badly at the box office that Disney put another live-action princess remake on ice: reports

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your big screen dreams.  Disney is hitting the…

Yale ‘Fascism Professor’ Flees Country to Escape Trump’s Fourth Reich

The #Resistance 2.0 is really upping the ante this time around.…

Australian shares take $35 billion hit as Trump tariffs spook markets

Australian shares took a $35 billion pounding in early trading today, following…

Holy SMOKES, Literally: Failed Car Bombing in Public Square in Amsterdam

What…well. Hold that thought. We know exactly what’s going on in…