Emergency service cordoned off the area after an underground explosion ripped open a footpath

A young woman has been rushed to hospital after an underground explosion ripped open a footpath in the heart of Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast.

Emergency services were called to Cavill Avenue about 5.18pm on Sunday following reports of a ‘pressure blast’.

A woman aged in her 20s who was walking down the street at the time fell into the gaping hole left by the blast. 

She suffered minor leg injuries and was taken to Gold Coast University Hospital in a stable condition.

Queensland Police launched a emergency declaration under the Public Safety Preservation Act and locked down several streets in the busy tourist precinct.

‘Members of the public are advised to avoid the area and those within the exclusion zone are asked to remain indoors until further notice,’ a statement read.

The exclusion zone included Cavill Avenue, Elkhorn Ave, The Esplanade and Surfers Paradise Boulevard.

Emergency service cordoned off the area after an underground explosion ripped open a footpath

Emergency service cordoned off the area after an underground explosion ripped open a footpath

Police declared an exclusion zone in Surfers Paradise after a 'blast' left a hole in the footpath

Police declared an exclusion zone in Surfers Paradise after a ‘blast’ left a hole in the footpath

No other injuries have been reported. 

Crowds were seen gathered around the scene, watching emergency services investigate on the other side of the street.

Firefighters taped off the area and escorted the public from nearby buildings.

One witness told the Gold Coast Bulletin they had heard ‘three big bangs’. 

Footage shared online showed emergency services at the cordoned off the scene before a small bang is heard and sparks are seen spewing from a hole in the ground.

Another shocked bystander reported hearing at least two explosions.

‘I can’t believe what I just witnessed in Surfers Paradise out front of the 7/11. I almost pushed my baby in her pram over top of the explosion. Does anyone know what happened,’ she posted online.

Police have since revoked the PSPA declaration.

However, pedestrian access to Cavill Avenue remains restricted.

‘Police are still working to establish the cause of the blast and remain on scene,’ a spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia.

Emergency services remained at the scene (pictured) on Sunday night, where Cavill Avenue remains blocked off

Emergency services remained at the scene (pictured) on Sunday night, where Cavill Avenue remains blocked off 

You May Also Like

Broke LA County on Hook for $4B Payout to County Sex Abuse Victims

WOW It’s been quite a year for Los Angeles so far.…

The Untold Truth Of The White Lotus Creator Mike White

Maya Dehlin Spach/Getty Images…

AI avatar tried to argue a case before New York court — but judges weren’t having it

It took only seconds for the judges on a New York appeals…

All the Ukrainian Known Knowns

Aside from the rhetoric, there is a growing consensus among Western…