Tony Armstrong has finally revealed his upcoming plans in television after quitting ABC News Breakfast

Tony Armstrong has finally revealed his upcoming plans in television after quitting ABC News Breakfast.

The TV star – widely regarded as the public broadcaster’s golden boy – departed his role earlier last Friday after three years at the network.

Addressing his future career moves during Channel Ten’s The Project on Friday, Armstrong revealed he’ll be working on ‘slower things’ compared to the fast-paced newsroom environment he’s used to.

‘News Breakfast, or news, as we all know, you’re tethered to a desk. So you always have to come back to something,’ the 35-year-old explained to the panel.

‘It’s harder to do the slower thinking. So working on a few things like that.

‘I won’t be on telly as much as I have been. But I’ll be around.’

The TV star also teased he has another exciting ‘factual six-part’ project ‘early next year’ with the ABC and appeared on The Project to plug his new children’s book, titled George the Wizard.

Armstrong’s announcement comes amid rumours he will replace top Channel Seven newsreader Tim Watson presenting sport on 7News Melbourne.

Tony Armstrong has finally revealed his upcoming plans in television after quitting ABC News Breakfast

Tony Armstrong has finally revealed his upcoming plans in television after quitting ABC News Breakfast

According to TV Blackbox, sports presenter Tim, 63, is reportedly ‘ready to call it a day’ on the network after 13 years and hand over his weeknight sports bulletin during Melbourne’s 6pm news.

Rebecca Maddern had been viewed as the frontrunner for the role, but rumours are now circulating that Armstrong is also in the running to take over the top job.

Luke Darcy accidentally announced his friend Tim’s widely speculated departure on his Triple M radio show last month, before realising Seven was still keeping the move strictly under wraps.

Addressing his future career moves during on Channel Ten's The Project on Friday, Armstrong revealed he'll be working on 'slower things' compared to the fast-paced newsroom

Addressing his future career moves during on Channel Ten’s The Project on Friday, Armstrong revealed he’ll be working on ‘slower things’ compared to the fast-paced newsroom

‘I am going to drop another little bomb here and that is… Tim “Whispy” Watson is about to finish up at the Seven Network,’ the AFL star-turned-radio host told his listeners.

Moments later, he began to furiously backpedal after his co-hosts queried whether Tim was aware his impending exit was going to be made public on their show.

‘That may have been an off-air conversation,’ Luke then confessed. ‘Let’s forget that part… let’s forget that… we are going to move on from that part.’

Armstrong’s contract with ABC is believed to be expiring in a matter of weeks, though he is said to be hopeful of securing a prime time hosting gig with the network next year.

Armstrong - widely regarded as the public broadcaster's golden boy - departed his role earlier last Friday after three years at the network

Armstrong – widely regarded as the public broadcaster’s golden boy – departed his role earlier last Friday after three years at the network

When he announced his exit from ABC News Breakfast last month, Armstrong confirmed he will be working on a new project with the ABC next year but remained coy on the details of the mystery job.

‘I’ve got something coming out early next year, not allowed to say what it is yet, it’s top secret,’ the former Sydney Swans star teased.

Daily Mail Australia contacted Channel Seven and Armstrong’s representatives for comment.

Armstrong’s last day at ABC News Breakfast was somewhat marred when he was called out by the network for doing voiceovers for insurance company NRMA while working on the program.

Janine Perrett exposed Armstrong’s gig on Media Watch, revealing that he had been working as the voice of NRMA Insurance ads since July.

Media Watch’s stand-in host said it was ‘astonishing’ that Armstrong had failed to get approval from the broadcaster before landing the new gig.

The ABC’s Editorial Policy states that any external work by a high-profile presenter isn’t banned, but is considered ‘very high risk’.

The ABC told Media Watch his voiceover work was done without its knowledge and was due to a ‘misunderstanding with Tony’s external representation’.

‘They have been provided a copy of the external work guidelines and reminded all ABC employees are required to meet them. Tony is a high valued employee and has the ABC’s full support,’ the broadcaster said.

Armstrong's last day at ABC News Breakfast was somewhat marred when he was called out by the network for doing voiceovers for insurance company NRMA while working on the program. Pictured with girlfriend Rona Glynn-McDonald at the 2024 Logies

Armstrong’s last day at ABC News Breakfast was somewhat marred when he was called out by the network for doing voiceovers for insurance company NRMA while working on the program. Pictured with girlfriend Rona Glynn-McDonald at the 2024 Logies

Addressing the controversy, the sports star then admitted it had been a ‘funny old week’ during his final ABC News Breakfast show on Friday.

‘Mixed feelings. You can tell by my body language, I don’t like talking about myself too much, despite being in a career where I’m in front of a camera,’ he told viewers.

‘It’s been such a whirlwind three years. Believe it or not, I was nervous when I started.

‘It didn’t last long. But yeah, that wasn’t all that long ago. And yeah, News Breakfast has given me everything, really. It’s given me… It’s given me a joy ride!

‘I wouldn’t be in the position that I’m in today to be able to walk out on my own terms, and into whatever is next.

‘I don’t really know exactly what it is yet… I’m just very thankful to everyone who watches and everyone who said such nice things to me across the course of this week particularly.

‘It’s been a funny old week. But yeah, people have been really, really nice to me.’

You May Also Like

Mariners giving out a ‘Platinum Dumper’ bobblehead — yes, really

It looks like the Mariners are showing a new kind of appreciation…

US Bans Sex Between Government Personnel and Chinese Citizens

This ban doesn’t apply to Americans here at home, like Rep.…

Why Do 10 Nurses at the Same Hospital Have Brain Tumors?

The American Cancer Society states that your risk of developing a…

Australian shares take $35 billion hit as Trump tariffs spook markets

Australian shares took a $35 billion pounding in early trading today, following…