At least 13 people are injured after a man in South Korea rammed a car onto a footpath, before stepping out of the vehicle and stabbing people inside a shopping mall in the city of Seongnam.
Yoon Sung-hyun, an official from the southern Gyeonggi provincial police department, said at least nine people were stabbed and four others were injured by the vehicle in the attacks that occurred in a crowded leisure district near a subway station on Thursday. Police did not confirm whether any were in a serious condition.

Police were questioning an unidentified suspect in his 20s who was arrested at the scene. Police officials did not immediately comment on any potential motive for the attack.

Police officers cordon off the scene of a stabbing rampage near a subway station in Seongnam, South Korea, Thursday, August 3, 2023. (Hong Hae-in/Yonhap via AP)

Photos from the scene showed forensic units examining the halls of the AK Plaza, where the stabbings took place. A white Kia hatchback with a broken front window and ruptured front tire could be seen on a sidewalk near the Seohyeon subway station.

The National Police Agency held an online meeting Thursday with regional police chiefs to discuss ways to deal with stabbings and other attacks against random targets.

During the meeting, National Police Agency Commissioner General Yoon Hee-keun described the attack as “virtually an act of terrorism”.

Officials discussed increasing nighttime patrols in leisure districts and other crowded areas and strengthening security camera surveillance, according to the agency.

Last month, a knife-wielding man stabbed at least four pedestrians on a street in the capital, Seoul, killing one person, police said.

Sign up here to receive our daily newsletters and breaking news alerts, sent straight to your inbox.
You May Also Like

Female fencer takes a knee and walks out against transgender rival, as she tells ref: ‘I will not fence against a man’

A female fencer was disqualified from her tournament after taking a knee…

Wild moment Anthony Albanese falls off stage while trying to pose for a photo in campaign trail fail – before the Prime Minister gives a truly baffling explanation

By MAX AITCHISON, POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 00:43 EDT,…

New bombshell lawsuit claims Beyoncé, Jay Z and LeBron James attended ‘Freak-Off’ party where Diddy ‘drugged and sexually maimed victim’

A new lawsuit claiming Beyoncé, Jay Z and LeBron James were at…

Critics mock Trump tariffs on ‘penguins’ living on uninhabited Antarctic Islands

By CHARLIE SPIERING, SENIOR POLITICAL REPORTER, WASHINGTON, DC Published: 00:01 EDT, 3…