Police alleged that Sayet Erhan Akca (pictured with his wife Georgia) was involved in a hoax terror plot

An alleged drug smuggler who’s been hiding in Asia and the Middle East is suspected of being the mastermind behind a hoax ‘terror’ caravan plot.

Sayet Erhan Akca, 35, left his life in Australia as a former gym and childcare facility owner in mid-2023, after he was charged with attempting to import a commercial quantity of drugs through the AN0M messaging app.

The married father-of-one allegedly left his wife, Georgia, and toddler son behind to flee Australian shores on a boat while on bail for an alleged 600kg drug importation, the Daily Telegraph reported.

A warrant for former businessman’s arrest was issued in September 2023 but he remains in hiding 18 months later.

However, Australian Federal Police alleged Akca reached out to authorities to provide information about a caravan full of explosives and anti-Semitic material found in Dural in Sydney’s north-west on January 19.

Officers suspect Akca divulged details about the plot in an attempt to cut a deal with prosecutors so he could lower any potential jail sentence and return to his family, who are not accused of any wrongdoing.

Akca is also alleged to be behind more than a dozen anti-Semitic arson and graffiti attacks in Sydney since October.

Police alleged that Sayet Erhan Akca (pictured with his wife Georgia) was involved in a hoax terror plot

Police alleged that Sayet Erhan Akca (pictured with his wife Georgia) was involved in a hoax terror plot

Police were informed of a caravan filled with explosives and anti-Semitic material in Dural (pictured) on January 19

Police were informed of a caravan filled with explosives and anti-Semitic material in Dural (pictured) on January 19

NSW Joint Counter Terrorism Team investigators quickly determined the caravan was likely never intended to cause a terror attack.

AFP Deputy Commissioner Krissy Barrett alleged the hoax was coordinated by one person. 

‘We believe the person pulling the strings wanted changes to their criminal status but maintained a distance from their scheme, and hired local criminals to carry out parts of their plan. However, the plan was foiled,’ she said earlier this week.

‘The caravan was never going to cause a mass casualty event, but instead was concocted by criminals who wanted to cause fear for personal benefit.

‘Put simply, the plan was the following: Organise someone to buy a caravan, place it with explosives and written material of anti-Semitic nature, leave it in a specific location and then once that happens, inform law enforcement about an impending terror attack against Jewish Australians.’

Commissioner Barrett issued a warning to criminals offered a part in the alleged scheme.

‘This is a rare time I will provide advice to criminals – serve your time quietly in prison and stop diverting the resources of terrorism investigators – otherwise your charges could be significantly upgraded,’ she said.

‘Too many criminals are accused of paying others to carry out anti-Semitic or terrorism incidents to get our attention or divert our resources. 

‘And too many offenders working in the criminal gig economy are accepting these tasks for money.’

The Sydney businessman left his family (pictured) behind when he allegedly fled Australia for Asia and the Middle East

The Sydney businessman left his family (pictured) behind when he allegedly fled Australia for Asia and the Middle East

Sayet Erhan Akca (right) was allegedly hoping to seek a lenient court outcome by providing information about the fabricated plan

Sayet Erhan Akca (right) was allegedly hoping to seek a lenient court outcome by providing information about the fabricated plan

NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Dave Hudson added that 14 anti-Semitic attacks across Sydney since December were allegedly orchestrated by the same person.

‘All of the (Strike Force) Pearl matters, I’m suggesting, the 14 incidents and the caravan job, are all being orchestrated by the same individuals,’ Commissioner Hudson said.

The attacks included the firebombing of a childcare in Maroubra and graffiti attacks on multiple homes and cars across the city’s eastern suburbs.

Police arrested and charged 14 people on Tuesday in connection with the anti-Semitic displays.

AFP is still working to arrest the alleged overseas organiser.

You May Also Like

'Not the act of a friend': Prime Minister condemns Trump tariffs

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has condemned US President Donald Trump’s “Liberation Day”…

Heartbreaking new details emerge about Val Kilmer’s final days before shock death aged 65

Val Kilmer was ‘bed bound’ for years as his health failed before…

Australian share market suffers $50billion bloodbath after Trump imposes new tariffs

By STEPHEN JOHNSON, ECONOMICS REPORTER FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 20:33 EDT,…

Woman's body discovered near Port Melbourne pier

The body of a woman has been discovered near a pier in…