A caravan containing explosives and documents suggesting plans for an attack against the Jewish community has been found in Sydney’s north-west.

A resident found the caravan on the side of Derriwong Road in Dural, north of Sydney, 10 days ago on January 19, NSW Police has confirmed.

Powergel explosives were found inside, which police believe may have been taken from a mining site. 

David Hudson
Deputy Police Commissioner David Hudson said the van was seized by police a week ago (Nine)

Speaking at a press conference this evening, Deputy Police Commissioner David Hudson said the van was seized by police a week ago.

He said detectives believed that it may have been set for an attack on the Jewish community. 

“That caravan contained an amount of explosives and some indication that those explosives might be used in some form of antisemitic attack,” Hudson said.  

“I can understand the community concern in relation to what the premier has outlined and what is currently evolving. 

“However, I can indicate we have no information that there are further explosives in our community in relation to conducting antisemitic attacks anywhere. 

“We believe that we have contained appropriately this current threat.”

Chris Minns
Chris Minns said the threat was being taken “incredibly seriously.” (Nine)

Hudson said arrests had been made already in relation to the discovery, but maintained police had not informed the public of the discovery as inquiries were ongoing. 

Police are also looking into the possibility that the caravan was dumped with the intention of being found. 

“That’s one of the lines of inquiry that we’re pursuing, whether it is a strategic matter that they’ve left those there for to be discovered by police or authorities,” Hudson said. 

“Whether someone was looking for some assistance at court, whether someone was going to disclose the existence of those explosives to us prior to it being recovered.” 

NSW Police said it had been treating the find as a credible terrorist threat.

Also speaking at the conference, Premier Chris Minns confirmed the discovery was being treated as a serious threat.  

“There’s bad actors in our community, badly motivated, bad ideologies, bad morals, bad ethics, bad people.

“They’re intent on doing damage and harm to others in our community, people they’ve never met before, purely on the basis of their religion.

“It’s hateful. It’s an ideology that we need to stamp out.”

He also said that the threat was being taken “incredibly seriously”.

“Police are very concerned about the rising number of antisemitic attacks in our community escalating to the point where there was a mass casualty event,” Minns said. 

“Anyone attempting terrorism, violence, or hatred in our community will be met with the full force of the law.

“There are massive amounts of police and government resources being devoted to this investigation, that there will be absolutely no tolerance under any circumstances for these acts of criminal violence in our community.” 

Hudson said in a statement earlier today there was no ongoing threat to the community.

“The NSW Police Force is working with the Australian Federal Police, NSW Crime Commission, ASIO, Victoria Police and the Queensland Police Service,” he said.

“This is an ongoing investigation and is being taken seriously with all lines of inquiry being pursued.”

You May Also Like

South Australia to get first-ever direct flights to US

The flights will return to the US in the afternoons. “All these…

Aussie farmer reveals why the US will be worse off because of Trump’s beef tariffs

The Aussie beef industry was briefly shocked on Thursday morning when US…

Australian share market suffers $50billion bloodbath after Trump imposes new tariffs

By STEPHEN JOHNSON, ECONOMICS REPORTER FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 20:33 EDT,…

Trump’s Treasury Secretary issues blistering six-word warning to countries threatening tariff revenge

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent warned America’s trading partners that ‘doing anything rash…