A suicide car bomber targeted a convoy of buses carrying security forces in restive southwestern Pakistan on Sunday, killing at least five officers and two civilians, the military and police said.

Ten people were also wounded in the attack in Naushki, a district in Balochistan, said Zafar Zamanani, a local police chief.

The dead and wounded, some of whom in critical condition, were transported to a hospital.

A paramilitary soldier examines a damaged bus at the site of a suicide bombing, in Naushki, a district in southwestern Pakistan’s Balochistan province. (AP)

Authorities said separatist rebels opened fire on the buses after the car bombing.

The outlawed Baloch Liberation Army claimed responsibility for the attack.

A military statement said “sanitization operations in the area would continue and perpetrators of this henious and cowardly act will be brought to justice.”

Last week, rebels attacked a train and took about 400 people hostage. Twenty-six died before security forces launched an operation that killed all the 33 attackers.

Last week, rebels attacked a train and took about 400 people hostage. Twenty-six died before security forces launched an operation that killed all the 33 attackers. (Pakistan Railways)

Sarfraz Bugti, the chief minister of Balochistan, said security forces returned fire on Sunday and killed at least four of the attackers.

Oil- and mineral-rich Balochistan is Pakistan’s largest and least populated province. Ethnic Baloch residents have long accused the central government of discrimination, a charge Islamabad denies.

The Baloch Liberation Army has been demanding independence from the central government.

Sign up here to receive our daily newsletters and breaking news alerts, sent straight to your inbox.
You May Also Like

Trump’s Treasury Secretary issues blistering six-word warning to countries threatening tariff revenge

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent warned America’s trading partners that ‘doing anything rash…

Man accused of using 3-year-old son's death to defraud friends out of $1.3 million

A Sydney man has been accused of using his three-year-old son’s accidental…

Disney World excluded from top 5 of the US’ most beloved theme parks — here’s the hidden gem that takes top spot

Step aside, Mickey Mouse. A new study revealed America’s favorite amusement parks…

Conor McGregor hits out at Donald Trump’s tariffs just weeks after visiting the US President at the White House

Conor McGregor has hit out at Donald Trump following the President’s shock…