Russia says 89 troops were killed in New Year’s attack, blames use of mobile phones

Russia’s defense ministry said on Wednesday that 89 servicemen were killed in the Ukrainian attack on Makiivka in the Moscow-controlled parts of the Donetsk region, adding the main reason for the attack was unauthorized use of mobile phones by the troops.

“It is already obvious that the main reason for what happened was the switching on and massive use – contrary to the prohibition – by personnel of mobile phones in a reach zone of enemy weapons,” the ministry said in a statement.

“This factor allowed the enemy to track and determine the coordinates of the soldiers’ location for a missile strike.”

The strike just after midnight on New Year’s Day on a school that was converted into military quarters in Makiivka has spurred anger among Russian nationalists and some lawmakers, questioning the military strategy used there. Russia previously said 63 Russian soldiers were killed.

The defense ministry said four rockets from the US-made HIMARS launchers hit the building, adding that “from the detonation of the warheads of the HIMARS rockets, the ceilings of the building collapsed.”

Workers remove debris of a destroyed building, purported to be a vocational college used as temporary accommodation for Russian soldiers, in Makiivka (Makeyevka), Russian-controlled Ukraine, on Jan. 3, 2023.
Russia blamed the unauthorized use of mobile phones by the troops for the attack.
Reuters

The ministry added in its statement on the Telegram messaging app that a commission is investigating the circumstances of the attack.

The ministry also suggested that in return, it launched air strikes at a “hardware concentration” near Druzhkivka railway station in Donetsk, killing up to 200 Ukrainian personnel, and destroying four HIMARS launchers and more than 800 rockets.

Reuters was not able to independently verify the report.

Kyrylo Tymoshenko, an aide to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, said on Tuesday that two people were wounded in the attack on Druzhkivka, which destroyed an ice hockey arena.

You May Also Like

All the big four banks now predict a rate cut in May

All four of Australia’s big banks are now expecting the Reserve Bank…

Japanese F1 Grand Prix practice LIVE: Up-to-the-minute coverage as Red Bull’s brutal driver change is put to the test

By SHAYNE BUGDEN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 22:08 EDT, 3 April…

I Am So, So Tired of European Hypocrisy

Europeans are whining daily about Trump’s policies, talking about the death…

Teenager is found guilty of murdering 13-year-old Jahziah Coke who was fatally stabbed in the chest at a house

 A teeanger who knifed a 13-year-old boy to death before meeting a…