ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Prosecutors dropped charges against Adnan Syed on Tuesday in the 1999 killing of Hae Min Lee, a case that was chronicled in the first season of the hit podcast “Serial,” according to a lawyer affiliated with Syed’s case.

Laura Nirider, a co-director of the Center on Wrongful Convictions at Northwestern Pritzker School of Law who accompanied Syed when he walked out of prison last month, tweeted: “Breaking news: After the latest round of DNA testing generated results that, like previous rounds of testing, excluded Adnan Syed, he has now been formally exonerated!”

Erica Suter, a lawyer who has represented Syed in court during his push to be freed, confirmed the news to The Baltimore Sun.

The prosecutor’s office didn’t immediately respond to calls and emails seeking comment.

A Baltimore judge last month overturned Syed’s murder conviction and ordered him released from prison, where the 41-year-old had spent more than two decades. Circuit Judge Melissa Phinn also gave prosecutors 30 days in which to decide whether to retry Syed or drop the charges.

Phinn ruled that the state had violated its legal obligation to share evidence that could have bolstered Syed’s defense. After his release, Syed was placed on home detention with GPS location monitoring.

SEE MORE: ‘Serial’ case: Adnan Syed freed, creator of hit podcast says evidence was long available

Syed has maintained his innocence for decades and captured the attention of millions in 2014 when the debut season of “Serial” focused on the case and raised doubts about some of the evidence, including cellphone tower data.

Prosecutors have previously said that a reinvestigation of the case revealed evidence regarding the possible involvement of two alternate suspects. The two suspects may have been involved individually or together, the state’s attorney’s office said.

One of the suspects had threatened Lee, saying “he would make her (Ms. Lee) disappear. He would kill her,” according to a court filing.

The suspects were known persons at the time of the original investigation and were not properly ruled out nor disclosed to the defense, prosecutors said.

Prosecutors also said new information revealed that one of the suspects was convicted of attacking a woman in her vehicle, and that one of the suspects was convicted of engaging in serial rape and sexual assault.

Prosecutors also noted unreliable cellphone data used during Syed’s court case to corroborate his whereabouts on the day of the crime. The notice on the records specifically advised that the billing locations for incoming calls “would not be considered reliable information for location.”

Syed served more than 20 years in prison for the strangling of Lee, who was 18 at the time. Her body was found weeks later buried in a Baltimore park.

More than a decade later, the popular “Serial” podcast revealed little-known evidence and attracted millions of listeners, shattering podcast-streaming and downloading records.

The video in the player above is from an earlier report.

Copyright © 2022 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

You May Also Like

'60 Minutes' Host Tries to Defend Hamas as Hostage Tells Horrific Story

Earlier this week, a few of the hostages who survived Hamas…

Trump hits the golf course as the stock market plummets for a second straight day

He woke up on Friday morning at Mar-a-Lago, his private club in…

Travis Kelce's Reported New Football Strategy Is Bound To Have Swifties Up In Arms

Xny/star Max/Getty Images After…

Perth dad's personal tragedy inspired life-saving equipment campaign

A Perth father has turned pain into purpose, convincing local councils to…