Phil Mickelson has 200 million reasons to feel optimistic about the future of professional golf.
Prior to the blockbuster LIV Golf-PGA Tour merger last month, the six-time major champion was one of the first big names to depart for the Saudi-backed tour back in June 2022.
Inking an estimated $200 million contract, Mickelson left the PGA Tour and hasn’t said much about the move until this week.
“I’m excited about the direction of professional golf,” Mickelson said, according to a Sports Illustratrated report on Thursday. “I’m optimistic about the future. I’m optimistic about the growth of LIV and I’m optimistic about the global growth of the game.”
Mickelson, 53, was quiet about his opinions on the merger ahead of the US Open, and had a three word reaction when the deal was announced.
“Awesome day today,” Mickelson wrote on Twitter.


After participating in the LIV Golf tournament at Valderrama from June 30 to July 2, Mickelson is speaking his mind –– somewhat indirectly.
Read Related Also: Suicide bomber suspected as explosion at Islamist rally in Pakistan kills at least 40, wounds more than 150
Mickelson wouldn’t go into detail about the logistics of the merger, but pointed a reporter to a tweet he had recently retweeted with the caption: “This thread is long and accurate FULL truth (not half truth) of the LIV/PGA Tour agreement if you’re interested. Well done BobBall and thank you.”
The user @BobBallPdx opened his thread with a message for the players of the PGA Tour.

“You are all in trouble & screwed if you don’t support the Framework agreement,” he wrote. “All of the nonsense that PGA Tour brass is going to get rid of LIV when they are in control is a fool’s wish.”
While there is reportedly language in the merger’s framework that claims PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan will have the final say over the tour’s fate, it seems Ball — and Mickelson — don’t believe it will push LIV Golf out.
Mickelson is calling for everyone to get on board.

“I would say I felt appreciation that we got to this point where we’re working together because it makes me confident with where the game of golf is headed in the future,” the 45-time PGA Tour winner said, according to Yahoo Sports.
“It took a year and a half or six months quicker than I thought it would be.”