In a video posted to X, previously Twitter, on Wednesday afternoon, Marles appeared stony faced as he said he had no choice but to relinquish his role.
“Tonight, our nation faces a grave threat, and it comes from the old enemy,” the deputy prime minister said.
“And I realise that I am unable to meet the moment. So it is my solemn duty to announce that this afternoon I’m resigning as Australia’s minister for defence. And I am handing my commission to Mackenzie Arnold.
“As Australia expects, I know that in this hour she will do us proud.
“And I simply ask one thing: tomorrow, can you please give me back the keys.”
Read Related Also: Carlos Rodon’s throws another clunker for Yankees thanks to Rays’ approach
Marles’ post did, naturally, clarify that the announcement was a joke and he added that he would quite like his job back in the morning.
Fans and players break down after heartbreaking loss
Arnold has been in excellent form during the World Cup, including in the Matildas’ quarter-final win against France when she was named player of the match.
She kept a clean sheet, produced a crucial save in extra time and then denied three penalties during the deciding shootout, leading to plenty of praise on social media afterwards.