NJ school district bans Halloween festivities in class so no one feels left out: report

A school district in New Jersey has reportedly banned all Halloween-themed events and costumes so no one feels excluded — leading even the Garden State’s Democratic governor to give a virtual eye-roll on social media.

In a letter to parents earlier this month, Superintendent Dr. Ronald Taylor of the South Orange-Maplewood School District said the decision to bar students from celebrating the holiday in class “may make some uncomfortable and elicit some challenges across our community,” according to NBC New York.

“However, in the end, I feel these recommendations align with [the district’s] commitment to building equity, fostering inclusion, and building a sense of belonging throughout our schools.”

The move is aimed at protecting students who either don’t celebrate the holiday for religious reasons or can’t afford a costume, the New York Times said.

A school district in New Jersey has reportedly banned all Halloween-themed events and costumes so no one feels left out.
JenkoAtaman – stock.adobe.com

The district also said its 10 school principals were “overwhelmingly in favor” of ending the celebrations, and wanted to hold some kind of fall festival instead, according to NBC.

Some parents liked the idea, with mom-of-three Megan Goslink saying her kids’ elementary school had already stopped celebrating for this exact reason.

“And honestly, having three kids, it’s kind of annoying having to get them ready and a costume,” said Goslink told the station.

The district said in a letter that 10 of its school principals were “overwhelmingly in favor” of ending the celebrations, and wanted to hold some kind of fall festival instead, according to reports.
South Orange & Maplewood School District

But New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy greeted the news a little differently.

“Seriously? We can’t let kids celebrate Halloween? Give me a break,” the two-term Democrat posted on X.

Some of the district’s elementary schools will move forward with a fall or harvest festival on Oct. 31, according to the Times.

The move is aimed at protecting students who either don’t celebrate the holiday for religious reasons or can’t afford a costume.
Reicaden – stock.adobe.com
Mom-of-three Megan Goslink agreed with the idea, saying her kids’ elementary school had already stopped celebrating for this exact reason.
NBC 4 NY

Districts in other states have done similar things — with mixed results.

In 2021, the East Lansing public school district in Michigan canceled Halloween and Valentine’s Day because some students don’t celebrate, according to the Times.

“We have young children who become overwhelmed and sometimes frightened of the costumes and others who come to school with no costume at all,” the district’s elementary school principals wrote to parents.

But a district in Northborough, Massachusetts, this month reversed course after a similar move because of the unintended backlash, the Times said.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy went to social media to share his distaste for the decision.
Some of the district’s elementary schools will move forward with a fall or harvest festival on Oct. 31, according to reports.
NBC 4 NY

Despite the governor’s comments, the South Orange-Maplewood district won’t be changing directions, a representative told the newspaper.

“All of us realize that this breaks with what the district has usually done, and that can be a difficult thing to do sometimes,” Dr. Kevin Gilbert, the assistant superintendent of access and equity, said in a statement.

“Often, working to instill greater equity in our district begins with recognizing that we cannot do what we have always done.”

You May Also Like

Yale ‘Fascism Professor’ Flees Country to Escape Trump’s Fourth Reich

The #Resistance 2.0 is really upping the ante this time around.…

Democrats Are Going to Flip Out When They Find Out About This

The current narrative from the media is that everything is awful,…

Hackers target Australia’s biggest super fund – money drained out of some accounts

 AustralianSuper targeted in cyber attack By STEPHEN JOHNSON, ECONOMICS REPORTER FOR DAILY…

Horror scenes as rush hour bus is SLICED in half after it ploughs into a tree at busy city

By ANTOINETTE MILIENOS FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 21:31 EDT, 3 April…