The two-month-old was being held by its mother when two youths allegedly broke into their home on Bokhara Street (pictured) in Larapinta at 2.30pm on Wednesday

A newborn baby has been rushed to hospital with a serious head injury after a horror home invasion in Alice Springs. 

The two-month-old was being held by its mother when two youths allegedly broke into their home on Bokhara Street in Larapinta at 2.30pm on Wednesday. 

One of the teenagers allegedly threatened the mother-of-four with a weapon before he struck out at her, injuring both the woman and her baby. 

Police allege the other teenager allegedly stole the woman’s keys and wallet while she was being assaulted before both fled in a vehicle. 

Both of the teens, aged 16 and 17, were arrested less than two hours later. 

The mother and child were rushed to Alice Springs Hospital before the baby was airlifted to Adelaide for treatment. 

Detective Superintendent Regional Crime Paul Lawson said the woman’s three other children had been at home during the ‘shocking attack’. 

‘I’m shocked. The community is in shock. The first responders are shocked – this has got to stop,’ he said in a video shared to social media on Thursday. 

The two-month-old was being held by its mother when two youths allegedly broke into their home on Bokhara Street (pictured) in Larapinta at 2.30pm on Wednesday

The two-month-old was being held by its mother when two youths allegedly broke into their home on Bokhara Street (pictured) in Larapinta at 2.30pm on Wednesday 

Detective Superintendent Regional Crime Paul Lawson (pictured) said the woman's three other children had been at home during the 'shocking attack'

Detective Superintendent Regional Crime Paul Lawson (pictured) said the woman’s three other children had been at home during the ‘shocking attack’

Detective Lawson said officers attended ‘on mass’ after police were notified. 

‘I’d like to acknowledge the first responders, mainly Alice Springs police, their attendance to this incident was excellent and they got the offenders very quickly off the streets, keeping the community safe from any further harm from these two.

‘Our thoughts go out to the victims of this incident, their families. I cannot even think about what they’re going through.’

He urged anyone with information about the incident to contact police. 

Both of the teenagers will appear in Alice Springs Local Court on Thursday. 

You May Also Like

Tahaad Pettiford’s early development set him up to be Auburn’s super sub

SAN ANTONIO — One of Tahaad Pettiford’s earliest basketball memories came in…

When Dems Don't Like What They See in the Mirror, They Insist That It's the Mirror's Fault

We all know how difficult rejection can be. In any area…

‘Snow White’ bombed so badly at the box office that Disney put another live-action princess remake on ice: reports

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your big screen dreams.  Disney is hitting the…

Trump admin freezing $510 million in federal funding to Brown University 

The Trump administration plans to freeze more than half a billion dollars in federal…