Indonesia is moving to ban the building of new hotels, villas and nightclubs in Bali‘s most popular tourist hotspots for at least two years, as part of an attempt to tackle rising overtourism and overdevelopment.

This year has seen unprecedented demand in Bali, with tourism arrivals already exceeding the number for the entirety of 2019 by the middle of the year.

Bali is a favourite tourist destination for Australians, with over one million of us travelling there each year. (Getty Images/iStockphoto)

It has prompted recent moves from local authorities to limit and control the influx of tourists to the island paradise.

The proposed moratorium on hotel builds is slated to last two years but could be extended for as much as 10 years.

Bali’s interim governor Sang Made Mahendra Jaya has hit out at foreigners who behave badly and said he wants Bali’s tourism to become more sustainable. (Amilia Rosa)

In announcing the decision, Bali’s interim governor Sang Made Mahendra Jaya hit out at tourists who get drunk on cheap liquor from unlicensed sellers and behave badly in the island paradise.

He said that the proposal had been met positively by the central Indonesian government due to negative posts on social media going viral.

Jaya said the proposal was about developing quality, sustainable tourism in Bali as well as protecting local culture and agriculture production such as rice farming against land conversion.

You May Also Like

The Morning Briefing: The World Is Suddenly Full of International Economics Experts

Top O’ the Briefing Happy Friday, dear Kruiser Morning Briefing friends.…

Yale ‘Fascism Professor’ Flees Country to Escape Trump’s Fourth Reich

The #Resistance 2.0 is really upping the ante this time around.…

'Snow White' Post Morten: A Cornucopia of Left-Media Delusion

I know, folks, I know. Another article on “Snow White?” Really?…

Human remains found in search for missing Queensland mum Tayla Spies

Detective Chief Inspector Garry Watts said the remains were found about one…