Myer’s traditional Christmas window opening reveal in Melbourne on Sunday has been cancelled over safety fears after planned protests.

Pro-Palestinian and anti-war activists on social media urged people to join them at a protest to “interrupt” the display reveal.

“Myer would like us to ‘share the joy’ this Christmas, but there is no joy in genocide,” the post read.

Myer
Myer’s Melbourne Christmas window display reveal event has been cancelled this year. (9News)

“Christmas is cancelled, and there will be no joy or frivolity while children in Gaza are massacred.”

In a statement, Myer confirmed the Sunday event had been cancelled.

“In light of recent developments and to ensure the wellbeing and safety of customers and team members, we will no longer hold an event on Bourke Street Mall for the unveiling of our Christmas windows,” a spokesperson said.

Myer
Protesters planned to “interrupt” the event. (9News)

“Myer’s Christmas windows have long symbolised joy and community, and we remain committed to providing a safe and positive experience for all visitors.”

The window display will still be open from Sunday until January 5 for people to enjoy if they choose to.

Victoria Police said they were aware of the planned protest.

“We have repeatedly requested they do not do this, however, the group is not co-operating with police,” a spokesperson said.

“The Myer Christmas Windows are an important tradition in Melbourne’s calendar, with families from across Victoria coming into the city to see them.

Myer
Myer said they wanted to provide a “safe and positive” experience. (Eamon Gallagher)

“While we always respect the right for people to protest peacefully, we are clear that this should be done without impacting the broader community.”

The spokesperson said police would have a “visible presence” at the site on Sunday, and would continue to try speak with the group planning the protest.

“It is important to make clear a separate rally planned for later in the day has changed its usual route due to the Myer Christmas Windows and will not walk through Bourke Street,” the spokesperson said.