A US woman accused of leaving three children to live alone for years in a house teeming with trash and faeces has been charged with child abuse, five days after police opened the door and discovered stomach-turning filth.

“These three kids were entrusted to the care of their mother … and the evidence suggests that she effectively abandoned them to a revolting pit of refuse and squalor,” said Karen McDonald, the Oakland County prosecutor in suburban Detroit, Michigan.

“What stands out the most for me is, no love,” McDonald said later during a news conference. “There was nobody there to care for them.”

Michigan child abuse
Kelli Bryant, 34, has been charged with child abuse in the US. (Oakland County Sheriff’s Department)

The 34-year-old mother, who McDonald named as Kelli Bryant, was in custody and awaiting a court hearing scheduled for Thursday local time.

The siblings – a 15-year-old boy and two girls, ages 12 and 13 – were hiding when police entered the Pontiac home Friday after a call from the landlord, who had not been paid since October.

“Police were astonished to find anyone in the location, because it appeared to be uninhabitable,” McDonald said, noting that the toilet was not working.

Michigan child abuse
Bryant’s three children were left living in filth and squalor for years, prosecutors say. (Oakland County Sheriff’s Department)

The children were covered with faeces, and the girls had trouble walking outside the home, she said.

At a hospital they struggled with flushing a toilet and brushing their teeth “because they had not done it in years,” the prosecutor added.

McDonald said the children likely had been alone since 2020 or 2021, communicating with their mother only through text messages when they needed food.

She was living elsewhere in Pontiac, about 30km north of Detroit.

You May Also Like

Eliot Donovan helps brides Jamie Marinos and Beth Kelly carry their suitcases as they arrive in Sydney ahead of Daily Mail’s Married At First Sight reunion

It looks like the Married At First Sight gang is back together…

More than $100 million in funding for Queensland flood recovery announced

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has announced more than $100 million in new…

Trump reveals his tariff endgame in bombshell post as Warren Buffett is forced to issue extraordinary denial

Donald Trump appears to have endorsed a theory that he is deliberately…

Why Democrats Hate DOGE and Love Waste

        If you haven’t watched the Bret Baier…