The former Liberal leader today released a statement saying the past few days have been “exceptionally distressing” and that he has been left “feeling exceptionally vulnerable and at risk”.
“I must take some time to focus on my own health and well-being as any other person should,” the statement reads.
The statement says he is under the care of medical professionals and is now on medical leave.
Video and a photo of Speirs were published by News Corp yesterday.
The video, which appears to show the former SA Liberal leader snorting white powder, was reportedly filmed just after 4am on June 30 in the Liberal MP’s Kingston Park home.
Vincent Tarzia, who took over from Speirs as SA Liberal leader just last month, yesterday said Speirs had insisted he was embroiled in a digital hoax and that the video was a manipulated deepfake video.
“He has assured me that he is of the belief that the footage is that of a deepfake,” Tarzia said.
The government today questioned why Speirs had not referred the video to police if he believed it was a deepfake.
“Why aren’t the opposition immediately referring this to police?” Labor MP Tom Koutsantonis said.