The body of a fifteenth person, a civil defence worker, was recovered last Thursday from the site, after PRCS said they were initially denied access to the area. CNN has reached out to the Israeli military.
In response to the initial incident, the Israeli military said it had fired on the ambulances and fire trucks because they were being used as cover by Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad militants.
Aid organisations and the UN have expressed outrage over the attacks, which the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent said were the “single most deadly” for IFRC workers in almost a decade.
“This massacre of our team is a tragedy not only for us at the Palestine Red Crescent Society, but also for humanitarian work and humanity,” PCRS said in its statement, calling the targeting of its medics “a war crime” punishable under international law.
The attacks come amid Israel’s renewed assault on the enclave and as its complete blockade of humanitarian aid nears the one-month mark.
OCHA, the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, said the bodies were recovered after a “complex, week-long rescue operation” that involved using bulldozers and heavy machinery to unearth the victims and their battered vehicles from under sand.
“Health workers should never be a target. And yet, we’re here today, digging up a mass grave of first responders and paramedics,” Jonathan Whittall, the head of UNOCHA in the occupied Palestinian territories, said from the site.
Video shared by the UNOCHA showed a bulldozer digging through dirt and moving debris as emergency responders used shovels to reach the victims. Several bodies were seen being pulled from sand, some wearing PRCS vests and showing signs of decomposition.
“One by one, they were hit, they were struck, their bodies were gathered and buried,” Whittall said.
“We’re digging them out in their uniforms, with their gloves on.”
Ambulances, as well as UN and civil defense vehicles, were found crushed and buried under the sand, Whittall added, accusing Israeli forces of trying to cover up the scene.
CNN has reached out to the Israeli military for comment.
According to the PRCS, their aid workers were dispatched to Rafah’s Al-Hashashin area on March 23 to respond to Israeli attacks when they came under assault.
“Israeli forces besieged the area, leading to (the) complete loss of communication with our teams,” PRCS said.
Hours later, Gaza’s Civil Defence said that six of its staff also went missing after being dispatched to the same area following what it described as a “sudden incursion by the Israeli occupation forces, the killing and injuring of dozens, and the besieging” of PRCS vehicles.
The Israeli military told CNN earlier its forces had opened fire that day at “suspicious vehicles”, including ambulances and fire trucks, that were advancing toward troops without prior coordination, use of headlights or emergency signals.
It said it had “eliminated” a number of Hamas and Islamic Jihad militants by firing on the vehicles and condemned what it claimed was “the repeated use of civilian infrastructure by the terrorist organisations in the Gaza Strip, including the use of medical facilities and ambulances for terrorist purposes”.
The attacks came less than a week after Israel renewed its assault across the strip on March 18, breaking a weeks-long ceasefire with Hamas. Since then, Israeli attacks have killed at least 921 Palestinians and injured more than 2000 others, according to the Hamas-controlled Gaza Ministry of Health. CNN has no way of independently verifying the numbers and the Israeli government does not allow foreign journalists to independently enter Gaza.
The news also follows Israel’s decision before the ceasefire collapsed to block humanitarian aid from entering the enclave, in what it described as a move to pressure Hamas into accepting new terms for an extension of the ceasefire rather than proceed with phase two of the truce.
UNOCHA and aid groups accuse Israel of violating international law by blocking the flow of aid into Gaza and of using starvation as a weapon of war. The same organizations have accused Israel of restricting or creating hurdles to the entry of aid throughout the war.
‘Health services must be protected’
International aid and humanitarian organisations have repeatedly condemned the Israeli military’s attacks on medical facilities and personnel.
Hospitals in Gaza – including Nasser Medical Complex, the enclave’s largest functioning hospital – have seen intense bombardment and raids from Israeli forces accusing the facilities of harbouring Hamas operatives.
“The occupation’s targeting of Red Crescent medics … can only be considered a war crime punishable under international humanitarian law, which the occupation continues to violate before the eyes of the entire world,” PCRS said.
Meanwhile, Gaza health officials said the death toll in Gaza since October 7 has surpassed 50,000, marking a grim milestone for a war with no end in sight.