Matthew Perry’s stepfather has shared a message of gratitude to United States law enforcement authorities after five people were charged in connection with the actor’s death from a ketamine overdose last year.

Keith Morrison, a Canadian journalist, and other loved ones of the Friends star in a statement issued to NBC News say they are finding some solace in the legal system nine months on from his death.

“We were and still are heartbroken by Matthew’s death, but it has helped to know law enforcement has taken his case very seriously,” they said. “We look forward to justice taking its course.”

Ketamine was listed as the primary cause of death, which was ruled an accident with no foul play suspected. ( (Photo by Brian Ach/Invision/AP, File) (Brian Ach/Invision/AP)

Five people including his personal assistant and two doctors have been charged in connection with Perry’s death in what prosecutors called a “broad underground criminal network” dedicated to getting the ate pow

The doctors preyed on Perry’s history of addiction in the final months of his life last year to provide him with ketamine in amounts they knew were dangerous, US Attorney Martin Estrada said as he announced the charges on Thursday.

Matthew Perry

From Canada to Hollywood: Matthew Perry’s life in pictures

“They knew what they were doing was wrong,” Estrada said. “They knew what they were doing was risking great danger to Mr. Perry. But they did it anyway.”

One doctor even wrote in a text message, “I wonder how much this moron will pay” and “Let’s find out,” according to an indictment unsealed Thursday.

Perry died in October due to a ketamine overdose and prosecutors said he received several injections on the day he died from his live-in personal assistant.

Keith Morrison, the stepfather of Matthew Perry. (AP)

Ketamine has seen a huge surge in use in recent years as a treatment for depression, anxiety and pain. While the drug isn’t approved for those conditions, doctors are free to prescribe drugs for so-called off-label uses.

Perry had been receiving regular ketamine infusion treatments for depression — in amounts not nearly enough to account for his death — from his regular doctors, who were not among those charged, authorities said.

When those doctors refused to give him more, he went in desperation to others.

“We are not talking about legitimate ketamine treatment,” Estrada said. “We’re talking about two doctors who abused the trust they had, abused their licences to put another person’s life at risk.”

You May Also Like

Hunt for man on bike who allegedly pointed gun at mum and child

The mum and her seven-year-old daughter were walking through Tirhatuan Park in…

Counter terror police issue warning to parents to look out for signs their child is at risk of radicalisation online in wake of Netflix show Adolescence

Counter Terrorism officers are urging parents to keep an eye out for…

South Australia to get first-ever direct flights to US

The flights will return to the US in the afternoons. “All these…

Aussie farmer reveals why the US will be worse off because of Trump’s beef tariffs

The Aussie beef industry was briefly shocked on Thursday morning when US…