Man killed in West Loop shooting, Chicago police say

CHICAGO (WLS) — A man was fatally shot in the West Loop early Thursday morning, Chicago police said.

He was shot in the 100-block of North Clinton Street, near Ogilvie Transportation Center, and was found in the 500-block of West Lake Street, near the Clinton Green and Pink Line CTA station, about 12:50 a.m., CPD said.

The unidentified man, who appeared to be about 40 years old, had been shot in the chest, police said.

He was unresponsive, and taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition.

SEE ALSO: Suspect shoots man who appears to swing tire iron at him at Auburn Gresham gas station: VIDEO

He later died, police said.

No one was in custody later Thursday morning, and Area Three detectives are investigating.

Alderman Bill Conway said the area where the shooting took place has become increasingly dangerous.

He said on Friday, CPD arrested a man with an illegal loaded gun and $60,000 worth of heroin and crack cocaine in the 500-block of West Lake Street, and in recent weeks there have been two other shootings and multiple armed robberies.

Conway said he has sought increased public safety efforts in the area.

“Based on the clear trajectory of violent crime in the area, this tragic fatal shooting was inevitable and likely avoidable,” said Conway, of the 34th Ward.

INTERACTIVE SAFETY TRACKER | Track crime and safety in your neighborhood

You May Also Like

Evict the squatters — because our universities are still worth saving

American universities are under attack, and I don’t mean by President Donald…

Virginia Giuffre breaks her silence on her bombshell ‘four days to live’ social media post – as the real story behind the Jeffrey Epstein accuser’s shocking claim is revealed

Virginia Giuffre has broken her silence for the first time since her…

Man, 39, dies after stabbing following night out in Brisbane

A major police investigation is under way in Brisbane after a man…

Tim Tszyu vs Joey Spencer LIVE: Round-by-round updates and all the news from Aussie’s make-or-break fight

By SHAYNE BUGDEN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 21:03 EDT, 5 April…