A court has heard harrowing new details about the crash that killed two young boys when a car slammed into a tree in Sydney’s south.
Police alleged in court that driver Jimmy Martin Brito, 33, was travelling at a minimum of 136km/h in a 60km/h zone before he crashed into a tree on The Grand Parade at Monterey just before 10pm on August 25.

Two boys, aged nine and 10, were killed. A girl, aged nine, survived with minor injuries.

The wreckage of the car was seen after the Monterey crash on The Grand Parade just before 10pm on August 25. (9News)

The court heard three mobile phones found at the scene have been seized as evidence.

Detectives had been able to unlock one of the phones that revealed a video which they say was filmed by one of the children in the moments before the crash.

Investigators have also sent the car’s black box off for analysis.

CCTV of the crash and the moments prior was played in court.

In previously unseen footage, the car was allegedly depicted overtaking another driver at speed 180 metres from where the collision occurred.

The 33-year-old dialled into Sutherland Local Court from Long Bay Hospital as his barrister, John Peluso, made an application for bail.

CCTV of a Monterey crash and the moments prior was played in court. (9news)

Police have confirmed further charges have been laid since the crash, with Brito now also facing two counts of aggravated driving causing death, each of which carries a maximum penalty of 14 years in jail.

In opposing bail, police prosecutor Emily Fowler noted the defendant did not have “an unblemished record, with traffic offences for speeding, using a mobile phone while driving and driving while suspended”.

Brito’s legal team claimed his ongoing physical and mental injuries were not being treated adequately in custody, and that he should be released to undergo treatment.

He was refused bail by magistrate Philip Stewart, who said a jail sentence would be “inevitable” if the 33-year-old was convicted.

Police have charged a driver after two children died in a car crash in SydneyPolice have charged a driver after two children died in a car crash in Sydney's south.Emergency services were called to The Grand Parade at Monterey, after a Subaru WRX left the road and crashed into a tree before 10pm on Friday.'s south.Emergency services were called to The Grand Parade at Monterey, after a Subaru WRX left the road and crashed into a tree before 10pm on Friday.
Investigators have sent the car’s black box off for analysis. (9News)

His lawyer, Sophia Toomey, confirmed they would appeal the decision.

The case will return to court on November 30.

You May Also Like

British pensioner held hostage by the Taliban describes his ‘hell’ living in a cage, shackled to murderers and limited to one meal a day inside Afghanistan’s most notorious prison

A British pensioner held hostage for more than nine weeks by the…

Duke blows late lead as Houston stunningly advances to NCAA final

SAN ANTONIO – Who said this NCAA Tournament lacked upsets?  Saturday night…

Measles alert for Australia Zoo and other Queensland tourist hotspots

A health alert has been issued in Queensland after a person with…

Labor makes $2.3bn household battery pledge

Anthony Albanese has announced a $2.3 billion investment that would slash the…