A German court has acquitted a man who is also under investigation in the 2007 disappearance of British toddler Madeleine McCann in a trial on charges of unrelated sexual offences.
The Braunschweig state court acquitted the 47-year-old German national, who has been identified by local media as Christian Brueckner, of two counts of rape and two of sexual abuse.

However, Brueckner will remain in prison another year because he is still serving a seven-year sentence for rape in a different case, German news agency dpa reported.

Christian Brueckner, centre, stands in the courtroom at Braunschweig District Court before the start of the trial, in Brunswick, Germany, on Tuesday October 8, 2024. (Michael Matthey/dpa via AP)

Brueckner had been on trial since February over offences he is alleged to have committed in Portugal between 2000 and 2017.

Defence lawyers had pointed to what they labeled a lack of evidence and witnesses who weren’t credible, and suggested he might not have been charged if he hadn’t also been a suspect in the McCann case.

Prosecutors had argued he should be given a 15-year prison sentence and kept in preventive detention once he has served it.

“The evidence we had was not enough to convict the defendant,” presiding judge Uta Engemann said, according to dpa, adding that “we were dealing with unreliable witnesses, some of whom deliberately lied to the court”.

Engemann argued that witnesses had been influenced in their statements by the media’s reporting on Brueckner, who she said had been “stylised as a sex monster and child murderer”.

The verdict can be appealed, dpa reported.

Brueckner has not been charged in the McCann case, in which he is under investigation on suspicion of murder. (Supplied)

Brueckner has not been charged in the McCann case, in which he is under investigation on suspicion of murder.

He spent many years in Portugal, including in the resort of Praia da Luz around the time of Madeleine’s disappearance there in 2007. He has denied any involvement in her disappearance.

He is currently serving a seven-year prison sentence after being convicted in 2019 by the Braunschweig court for the rape of a 72-year-old American woman in Portugal in 2005.

The Braunschweig state court has jurisdiction because Brueckner had his last German residence in that city in Lower Saxony.

You May Also Like

Mets bullpen’s excellent start masking rotation injuries

The Mets opened the season missing two surefire starting pitchers in Frankie…

Kelly Clarkson Accidentally Confirms She Couldn't Care Less About Meghan Markle's Drama

Jose Perez/bauer-griffin/Getty While interviewing…

Married At First Sight’s ‘hottest bride ever’ Evelyn Ellis puts on busty display in a blue corset mini dress as she leads arrivals at Stan’s Love Triangle launch party

Former Married At First Sight bride Evelyn Ellis put on a busty…

Why Do 10 Nurses at the Same Hospital Have Brain Tumors?

The American Cancer Society states that your risk of developing a…