Luis Severino uncertain on Yankees future after season-ending oblique injury

Luis Severino doesn’t know for sure if he’s thrown his final pitch as a Yankee.

The pending free agent is concentrating first on his season-ending oblique injury.

The two-time All-Star will head into free agency this winter coming off the worst of his eight seasons in pinstripes, posting a 6.65 ERA over 19 starts.

“I don’t know. Right now I’m thinking about that,” Severino said when asked before Sunday’s game if he believes he will pitch for the Yankees next season. “I just think about what I need to do to get better pretty soon.

“If it is [the end with the Yankees], I gave everything I got. I was trying to get better every time. A lot of guys here, a lot of people, helped me get through worse days. I’m very happy that I did.”


Luis Severino on the mound in the first inning on the Yankees-Brewers game on Sept. 8, 2023.
Luis Severino on the mound in the first inning in the Yankees-Brewers game on Sept. 8, 2023.
Robert Sabo for NY Post

Luis Severino grimaces with pain as he comes out with an injury during the fifth inning of the Yankees-Brewers game on Sept. 8, 2023.
Luis Severino grimaces with pain as he comes out with an injury during the fifth inning of the Yankees-Brewers game on Sept. 8, 2023.
Robert Sabo for NY Post

The 29-year-old Severino had been pitching better over the past month, posting a 3.16 ERA in his final five outings before departing Friday’s game with sharp pain on his left side, which he described afterward as “like somebody shot me.”

He added Sunday that the pain has decreased, saying, “It’s getting better every day.”

Severino also said he was told the injury usually takes “at least six weeks” before resuming baseball activities.

“I’m not happy the way it went, but I’m happy that it’s not gonna be something that is gonna take a full year to recover,” he said.


Luis Severino exits the Yankees-Brewers game on Sept. 8, 2023.
Luis Severino exits the Yankees-Brewers game on Sept. 8, 2023.
Robert Sabo for NY Post

Luis Severino pitches against the Astros on Sept. 2, 2023.
Luis Severino pitches against the Astros on Sept. 2, 2023.
USA TODAY Sports via Reuters Con

The righty is earning $15 million this season in the last of a five-year contract worth $55 million.

Severino missed the entire 2020 campaign and most of 2021 following Tommy John surgery, and he also opened this season on the injured list due to a strained latissimus dorsi muscle.

“It’s been a very tough year, physically, mentally,” Severino said. “I just wanted to be out there, be healthy, and be helping my team. For myself, as well as the team, it’s been a rough year for everybody…with a lot of guys on the IL. So it’s been a really tough year.”

You May Also Like

Trump invites president of El Salvador to White House: ‘Your support of my efforts to combat illegal immigration is greatly appreciated’ 

Salvadoran President Nayib Bukele revealed Wednesday that he has received a personal…

Oh, Get Out! Hamas Lied About Casualties?

This is some breaking news, tell you what. *insert eyeroll* But…

Woman is found dead at Port Melbourne

By CAITLIN POWELL FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 21:50 EDT, 2 April…

Illinois student, 13, steals her art teacher’s credit card for shopping spree

An Illinois middle school teacher claims a 13-year-old student stole her wallet…