The statement, given under parliamentary privilege by former consultancy insider Anthony Daly to the Joint Committee of Public Accounts and Audit (JCPAA), alleges that a consulting firm planned to “facilitate the flow of funds” to Robert in exchange for his help in claiming government contracts.
Robert has strenuously denied the allegations, saying Daly’s submission contains no evidence.
Speaking in Canberra on Wednesday afternoon, Shorten said he had sought advice from Services Australia about appropriate next steps following the allegations.
“The allegations that a member of parliament, a former member of parliament, could be financially benefiting by the arrangement outlined in the statement are very serious and deserve further investigation,” Shorten said.
“And I do note, of course, Mr Robert’s strenuous denial as to the truth of that matter.
“So therefore, these are serious allegations before a parliamentary committee and do require further investigation. So I have asked my agency, Services Australia, to advise what the next appropriate avenues are.”
Pressed on whether he would refer the matter to the soon-to-be-established National Anti-Corruption Commission, Shorten said he would wait for advice before acting.
Daly’s statement comes as the JCPAA investigates the awarding of Services Australia and National Disability Insurance Agency contracts under the previous government.
Robert was the Minister for Government Services and the NDIS between 2019 and 2021.
Read Related Also: Candidates flock to Moms for Liberty Summit in Philadelphia as SPLC labels them a hate group
The JCPAA inquiry followed reports detailing the relationship between Robert and consultancy firm Synergy 360, whose former owners include David Milo and John Margerison.
Milo is a friend of Robert’s while Margerison is the former Liberal MP’s former fundraiser.
Daly is the ex-husband of another of Synergy 360’s former owners, Kham Xaysavanh.
Robert has denied any allegation of wrongdoing.
“At no time have I ever been paid for any advice or guidance in any form,” he said to the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.
“At no time did I lobby to assist any firm in such a manner. I also reiterate that Mr Margerison and Mr Milo have both said publicly that no payments were ever made, nor sought.
“Mr Daly’s submission with zero evidence and wild accusations is rejected in its entirety. (It is) simply not believable and is outrageous.”
Robert resigned from parliament last month, triggering a by-election in the Queensland seat of Fadden.