A left-wing Australian commentator has faced massive backlash for his ‘careless’ response to news former US president Donald Trump was shot in a failed assassination attempt.
Ambassador of Australia to the United States Kevin Rudd shared a statement on Sunday following news Trump had been shot during a campaign rally on Saturday night, local time.
‘All Australians are shocked by the attack on former president Donald Trump at his campaign rally this evening in Pennsylvania,’ Mr Rudd wrote.
‘Violence has no place in our democracies. It is a relief to see that President Trump is safe. Our thoughts are with him and his family.’
Ex-radio host Mike Carlton shared a blunt reply to Mr Rudd’s message, writing: ‘Not my thoughts…’
However, Carlton’s audience was less than impressed by his choice of words with even Trump critics slamming the Aussie’s apparent disregard for safety.
‘Sometimes it’s better to keep things to yourself,’ one wrote.
‘You’re a disgrace,’ another said.

Left-wing Australian commentator Mike Carlton (pictured) has come under fire for writing ‘Not my thoughts…’ under Kevin Rudd’s statement regarding shots fired at Donald Trump

Trump was shot at during a rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, on Saturday, local time, in an attack that killed one spectator and critically injured two others
‘You’re the problem, and the sooner we are rid of you the better,’ another wrote.
A fourth said: ‘Imagine being such a low life that you’d celebrate, or let’s say lament someone’s safety. What a disappointment you turned out to be Mike.
‘I don’t like the guy at all, but I’d never wish harm and I’d say he displays more courage than you sitting behind your keyboard.
‘You should be ashamed of yourself mate.’
However, Carlton refused to show any remorse as he doubled down on his views.
‘The Trump shooting has sure brought out his demented Australian acolytes – anonymous, insignificant little dips***s from Woop Woop Creek and the like, hurling abuse for the benefit of their 20-odd followers. What a life,’ he wrote.
‘And now watch ’em go again…’
Carlton added in another tweet: ‘Another pious absurdity is that ‘violence has no place in American political life.’ It does, actually. Ever since 1776.’
The shooter behind the assassination attempt, which killed one spectator and critically injured two others, has since been identified as Thomas Matthew Crooks.
Crooks is a 20-year-old registered Republican who donated to Joe Biden.
He fired at least eight bullets from a rooftop less than 120m from where Trump stood on stage in Butler, Pennsylvania, speaking to thousands of fans at 6.15pm.
Law enforcement sources told CBS News that Crooks, from Bethel Park, Pennsylvania, had been armed with ‘an AR-style rifle’.
During the attack, he appeared to be wearing merchandise promoting one of YouTube’s most popular channels devoted to firearms – Demolition Ranch – NBC News reported.
According to Pennsylvania’s public court records, Crooks had no criminal history and officials claimed they are still working towards identifying a motive behind the shooting.

Mike Carlton was slammed by critics for dismissing Kevin Rudd’s statement, which expressed a hard stance against violence in politics and relief at Trump’s safety

Trump was left bloodied and hurt during the assassination attempt, conducted by 20-year-old registered Republican, Thomas Matthew Crooks
Trump was left bloodied and hurt during the assassination attempt as he was seen to suddenly grab hold of his ear as loud bangs rang out and whizzed by before he ducked to the floor.
The Secret Service swarmed around the 45th US President as piercing screams were heard from the MAGA crowd.
He then got to his feet with blood pouring down his cheek and raised his fist in the air and defiantly shouted ‘fight’ while the audience shouted ‘USA’ as he was dragged off stage and bundled into a vehicle.