A rape charge hearing against former Liberal Party staffer Bruce Lehrmann has been adjourned, with his defence set to argue he has no case to answer. 

The committal hearing at Toowoomba, west of Brisbane, is part of a long-running process to determine if the matter will go to trial.

Lawyers for Bruce Lehrmann plan to argue he has no case to answer when rape charges against him return to court. (Dan Peled)

Testimony from the alleged victim was heard in a closed court before Magistrate Mark Howden ordered the committal be adjourned until July 4.

Defence barrister Andrew Hoare handed up a 12-page written submission from Lehrmann, saying he would present oral arguments for a no-case submission next month.

“As foreshadowed, they are submissions in respect to the sufficiency of the evidence to place my client on trial,” Hoare said.

Howden continued Lehrmann’s bail and allowed him to appear via videolink next month.

Lehrmann had travelled from interstate to attend the hearing and crown prosecutor Nicole Friedewald did not oppose him not having to appear in person next month.

Friedewald said the prosecution’s case was complete after submitting a new statement from the alleged victim.

Howden had earlier denied an application for journalists to remain in the courtroom while the alleged victim gave evidence, saying it would be prejudicial against Lehrmann.

“I acknowledge the public interest, however… the matter ought to proceed in the ordinary way,” he said.

Lehrmann was first charged in January 2023, but had not attended court for the matter until Monday. He was mobbed by media when he arrived.

“Where is Peter Costello when you need him?” he said, apparently in reference to the former Nine Entertainment chairman allegedly pushing over a journalist.

Lehrmann faces two counts of raping a woman at Toowoomba in October 2021, which his lawyers have said he denies.

Friedewald handed up a list of exhibits and witnesses including a police detective and multiple officers.

Barrister for News Corp, ABC and Nine Network, Jess Goldie, applied for journalists to remain in the courtroom while the alleged victim testified remotely.

Parts of Bruce Lehrmann's committal hearing have been heard in a closed courtroom.
Parts of Bruce Lehrmann’s committal hearing have been heard in a closed courtroom. (Dan Peled/The Sydney Morning Herald)

Goldie said the high public interest in the case justified media remaining to ensure fair and accurate reporting.

It was opposed by Hoare, the crown prosecutor and the alleged victim.

Howden denied the application and ordered the packed courtroom’s public gallery be cleared.

Defence lawyers had mounted a weeks-long legal effort to maintain Lehrmann’s anonymity after Queensland changed its laws in October 2023 to no longer ban the publication of the names of people charged with certain sex offences prior to facing trial.

Lehrmann was able to be identified after being denied an ongoing non-publication of his name by the Queensland Supreme Court.

He was the subject of national media attention after being charged with the rape of Brittany Higgins in the office of then defence industry minister Linda Reynolds at Parliament House in March 2019, while both were employed by the senator.

Lehrmann denied the allegations and the case ended in a mistrial, with prosecutors withdrawing the charge and declining to proceed with a new trial out of concern for Higgins’ mental health.

Lehrmann in November 2023 started defamation proceedings against Network Ten and journalist Lisa Wilkinson over claims The Project program had identified him as the person who raped Higgins in Parliament House in 2019.

You May Also Like

Eliot Donovan helps brides Jamie Marinos and Beth Kelly carry their suitcases as they arrive in Sydney ahead of Daily Mail’s Married At First Sight reunion

It looks like the Married At First Sight gang is back together…

Mets fans cheer Vladimir Guerrero Jr. with potential free agency looming

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. was at Citi Field Friday, with the Blue Jays…

South Carolina has chance for March Madness repeat after rout of Texas

TAMPA, Fla. — Joyce Edwards fed Tessa Johnson who pulled up for…

Broke LA County on Hook for $4B Payout to County Sex Abuse Victims

WOW It’s been quite a year for Los Angeles so far.…