Prosecutors in Italy have placed under investigation the captain of a superyacht that sank during a storm off Sicily last week, killing seven people, Italian media reports.

James Cutfield, a 51-year old New Zealand national, is being investigated for possible manslaughter and culpable shipwreck, Italian dailies reported on Monday.

Under Italian laws, being under investigation doesn’t imply being guilty and doesn’t necessarily lead to criminal charges.

Prosecutors in Termini Imerese didn’t reply to calls to confirm the reports.

He said his team will consider each possible element of responsibility including those of the captain, the crew, individuals in charge of supervision and the yacht’s manufacturer.

Prosecutors said the event was “extremely rapid” and could have been a “downburst” — a localised, powerful wind that descends from a thunderstorm and spreads out rapidly upon hitting the ground.

The crew was saved, except for the chef, while six passengers were trapped in the hull.

You May Also Like

Space tourists splash down after traveling an orbit never attempted before

SpaceX is wrapping up the latest chapter in its commercial human spaceflight…

Punches fly in wild brawl between bitter NRL rival supporters at Rabbitohs versus Roosters clash at Accor Stadium

Involved more than 10 footy supporters Rival fans from Roosters and Rabbitohs…

Weekend Parting Shot: When Rich Libs Steal

Happy Friday, Gentle Readers, I pray this missive finds you well.…