A jury was selected Thursday in Jonathan Majors’ domestic assault trial in New York — after the Marvel actor stood and bowed to greet the prospective panelists that will decide his fate.
Majors, wearing a double-breasted slate gray suit, clasped his hands together, nodded, gave a half-bow, and then pressed his left hand over his heart when asked to introduce himself to the pool of 40 potential jurors in Manhattan Criminal Court.
Opening statements were set for Monday after the six jurors and two alternates were selected to decide whether the 34-year-old “Loki” actor should be convicted on misdemeanor assault and harassment charges in a trial that is expected to last two weeks.
The “Creed III” star is accused of assaulting his now-ex-girlfriend Grace Jabbari during a March 25 taxi ride in Chinatown after she saw a text on his phone that read, “I wish I was kissing you right now,” court papers say.
Jabbari, 30, a British dancer and movement coach, is expected to testify that Majors assaulted her after she grabbed his phone to see who sent the flirty message.
Among the prospective jurors in Majors’ case was fellow actor Yul Vasquez, who recently had a major role in the Apple TV drama “Severance” and also had bit parts in hit shows like “The Sopranos” and “Seinfeld” and blockbuster films like “Runaway Bride” and “Bad Boys II” over his decades-long career.
Vasquez noted during jury selection that he has “serious problems” with anyone who commits violence and women — and told the judge to “do with that information what you will.”
He was later excused from the case.
Three other prospective jurors said they could not be impartial in the case because they had seen video of Majors’ accuser dancing at a nightclub hours after the alleged attack.
The actor’s attorneys have attempted to use the video to downplay the extent of the alleged assault. The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office has also disclosed a video of Jabbari sobbing and speaking to bystanders on the sidewalk moments after the alleged encounter.
Prosecutors allege Majors twisted his accuser’s forearm and hit her in the ear before picking her up and throwing her back inside the taxi where the altercation unfolded.
Read Related Also: Kate Middleton helps out during a visit to a baby bank in Barnet which supports struggling families in the lead-up to Christmas
Majors has pleaded not guilty to the charges, which have threatened to derail his career as a rising Hollywood star who recently played the role of supervillain Kang The Conqueror in Marvel’s “Ant-Man and the Wasp” franchise.
He arrived at the lower Manhattan courthouse Thursday morning wearing a navy winter coat and feathered fedora over his gray suit.
Once inside the courtroom, he placed the gold-leaf bible, notebook and ceramic mug he’s brought to prior court appearances in front of him at the defense table.
His new girlfriend, actress and model Meagan Good, sat in the third row of the court’s gallery.
Before jury selection began, Judge Michael Gaffey issued a ruling on whether jurors can hear the court previously called “inflammatory” evidence about Majors’ past acts.
Prosecutors have said in court papers that they were considering bringing up during the trial a September 2022 London episode that they said was relevant to the case, and was probed by local police.
But Thursday’s ruling was sealed, with members of the press and public barred from hearing about it.
The judge had argued Wednesday that information getting out about the “inflammatory” evidence would “prejudice” potential jurors.
During jury selection, which began Wednesday, Majors made eye contact with several of the prospective jurors as they entered the room.
He appeared to give slight nods and smiles while turning to face the prospective jurors at several points during the proceeding.
When the judge read a list of the charges he is facing, he continued looking at jurors, but occasionally shot a look down at the floor.