Israel’s top general has resigned, citing the security and intelligence failures related to Hamas’ surprise attack that triggered the war in the Gaza Strip.
Israel meanwhile launched a large military operation in the occupied West Bank city of Jenin on Tuesday that the Palestinian Health Ministry said had killed at least six people and wounded 35.

Lieutenant General Herzi Halevi is the most senior Israeli figure to resign over the security breakdown on October 7, 2023, when thousands of Hamas-led militants carried out a land, sea and air assault into southern Israel, rampaging through army bases and nearby communities for hours.

Israeli army chief Herzi Halevi, right, attends a memorial ceremony for Israeli soldiers who fell in battle during the 2014 Gaza War, in the Hall of Remembrance at Mount Herzl Military Cemetery in Jerusalem on Tuesday, July 16, 2024. (Abir Sultan/Pool Photo via AP)

Hamas militants killed some 1200 people, mostly civilians, and abducted another 250. More than 90 captives are still being held in Gaza, about a third of whom are believed to be dead.

In his letter of resignation, Halevi said the military, under his command, had “failed in its mission to defend the State of Israel”.

Halevi, who began what was meant to be a three-year term in January 2023, said his resignation would go into effect on March 6.

Israel had earlier announced a “significant and broad military operation” against Palestinian militants in Jenin. The city has seen repeated Israeli incursions and gun battles with militants in recent years, even before Hamas’ October 7, 2023, attack ignited the war in Gaza.

The latest operation came just days into a fragile ceasefire with Hamas in Gaza that is supposed to last for six weeks and see 33 militant-held hostages released in return for hundreds of Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. Three hostages and 90 prisoners were released on Sunday, when it took effect.

Israel captured the West Bank, Gaza and east Jerusalem in the 1967 Mideast war. The Palestinians seek an independent state encompassing all three territories.

A Palestinian stands beside a torched car in the aftermath of an attack by Israeli settlers in the West Bank village of Jinsafut on Tuesday, January 21, 2025. (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed)

The ceasefire does not apply to the West Bank, which has seen a surge of violence since the start of the war. Israeli troops have carried out near-daily raids that often ignite gun battles.

There has also been a rise in attacks on Palestinians by Jewish extremists — including a rampage in two Palestinian villages overnight Monday — as well as Palestinian attacks on Israelis.

Hamas condemned the Israeli operation in Jenin, calling on Palestinians in the occupied West Bank to step up their own attacks.

The smaller and more radical Islamic Jihad militant group also condemned the operation, saying it reflected Israel’s “failure to achieve its goals in Gaza”. It said it was also a “desperate attempt” by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to save his governing coalition.

A Palestinian youth sifts through the aftermath of an attack by Israeli settlers in the West Bank village of Jinsafut on Tuesday, January 21, 2025. (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed)

Netanyahu has faced criticism from his far-right allies over the ceasefire, which required Israeli troops to pull back from populated areas in Gaza and envisions the release of hundreds of Palestinian prisoners, including militants convicted of involvement in deadly attacks on Israelis.

The ceasefire has already seen Hamas return to the streets, showing that it remains in firm control of the territory despite 15 months of war that killed tens of thousands of Palestinians and caused widespread devastation.

One of his erstwhile partners, Itamar Ben-Gvir, quit the government the day the ceasefire went into effect, weakening the coalition but still leaving Netanyahu with a parliamentary majority.

Trump’s inauguration attended by family of hostages still held by Hamas

Another, far-right leader, Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, has threatened to bolt if Israel does not resume the war after the first phase of the ceasefire ends in six weeks.

Israel’s military campaign has killed more than 47,000 Palestinians in Gaza, according to local health authorities, who say women and children make up more than half of the fatalities but do not say how many of the dead were fighters.

You May Also Like

Tesla Vandals Keep Getting Caught, Democrats Keep Staying Silent

There are two stories here. Once is the ongoing wave of…

Wild moment Anthony Albanese falls off stage while trying to pose for a photo in campaign trail fail – before the Prime Minister gives a truly baffling explanation

By MAX AITCHISON, POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 00:43 EDT,…

1 killed in Gurnee hit-and-run crash

ByABC7 Chicago Digital Team Thursday, April 3, 2025 9:26AM Live streaming newscasts,…

The Morning Briefing: Musk and DOGE Are Fun, but Tom Homan Is My Early Trump 47 MVP

Top O’ the Briefing Happy Thursday, dear Kruiser Morning Briefing friends.…