Israel said on Sunday it is stopping the entry of all goods and supplies into the Gaza Strip and warned of “additional consequences” if Hamas does not accept a new proposal for an extension of the ceasefire.

Hamas accused Israel of trying to derail the fragile truce and said its decision to cut off aid was “cheap extortion, a war crime and a blatant attack on the [ceasefire] agreement”.

The first phase of the Israel-Hamas ceasefire, which included a surge in humanitarian assistance, expired on Saturday.

As the sun sets, Palestinians sit at a large table surrounded by the rubble of destroyed homes and buildings as they gather for iftar, the fast-breaking meal on the first day of Ramadan, in Rafah, southern Gaza Strip. (AP)

The two sides have yet to negotiate the second phase, in which Hamas was to release dozens of remaining hostages in return for an Israeli pullout and a lasting ceasefire.

Israel said earlier on Sunday that it supports a proposal to extend the first phase of the ceasefire through Ramadan and Passover, or April 20. It said the proposal came from the Trump administration’s Mideast envoy, Steve Witkoff.

Under that proposal, Hamas would release half the hostages on the first day and the rest when an agreement is reached on a permanent ceasefire, according to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office.

There was no immediate comment from the US, Egypt or Qatar, who have been mediating between Israel and Hamas for over a year.

You May Also Like

Man arrested in his front yard while allegedly shining a torch at a plane

Police were called to a home in Salisbury after the pilot reported…

Transgender athlete Lia Rose wins girls event in Oregon… two years after finishing LAST against boys

A biological male won a girls varsity high jump event in Oregon…

Lawn Gone Liberty: The Update

        It’s finally spring.        …

Netflix show prompts urgent warnings from federal police

A UK Netflix series has prompted an urgent reminder from the Australian…