Insurance claims across south-east Queensland are flooding in by the day with more than 41,000 lodged so far in the wake of ex-Tropical Cyclone Alfred.

The majority of the claims are related to damage to homes, along with almost 1700 commercial claims.

Queensland Reconstruction Authority chief executive Jake Ellwood said there were different challenges across council areas.
Crews work on the removal of fallen trees from a retail precinct in the suburb of Everton Park this week.
Crews work on the removal of fallen trees from a retail precinct in the suburb of Everton Park this week. (Getty images)

“Things like essential services have been very challenging,” Ellwood said.

The federal government is releasing disaster recovery payments of $1000 per adult and $400 per child for eligible residents in Logan, Gold Coast, Redland City and parts of the Fraser Coast.

This is in addition to $180 state-distributed emergency hardship payments.

The Age, News, 11/03/2025 photo by Justin McManus. Ex-Tropical Cyclone Alfred Gold Coast. Heavy machinary working on beach restoration after the storm.
Heavy machinery worked on beach restoration this week after ex-Tropical Cyclone Alfred hit the Gold Coast. (The Age)
Brisbane, Moreton Bay and Lockyer Valley are not on the list despite severe flash flooding impacting a number of suburbs.

“[There are] some cases where the creek has risen and come into people’s property,” Brisbane Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner said.

“There’s other cases where the rain has come through the roof.”

Federal officials are waiting on damage reports before including more areas.

In Southport on the Gold Coast, wind gusts were strong enough to break the windows at a Korean barbecue restaurant this week.

The Gold Coast is home to some of Australia's most famous beaches. But after ex-Tropical Cyclone Alfred, the shoreline looks worse for wear.

Recovery efforts begin after ex-Cyclone Alfred ravaged famous beaches

“It was so scary, but no one was hurt. We were lucky,” restaurant owner Sidney Kin said.

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate said 18,000 in the city remained without power this morning.

“Energex remains committed to 100 per cent energy back on target by Sunday,” Tate said.

Beaches at Greenmount, Coolangatta and Burleigh opened today.

Several other beaches will undergo restoration works ahead of the Easter holidays.

You May Also Like

Adam Devine told by doctors he was dying after severe health complications from childhood accident

Adam Devine has revealed that doctors told him he may be dying…

'60 Minutes' Host Tries to Defend Hamas as Hostage Tells Horrific Story

Earlier this week, a few of the hostages who survived Hamas…

Val Kilmer’s children speak out after actor’s death at 65: ‘We are so proud of him’

Val Kilmer’s family has spoken out following the Hollywood star’s death at…

Tennessee driver charged with deadly hit-and-run had posted about how the victim would ‘be missed’

A Tennessee woman who allegedly killed a bicyclist in a hit-and-run crash…