Hezbollah’s acting leader says even more Israelis will be displaced as the militant group extends its rocket fire deeper into Israel, in a defiant televised statement marking the anniversary of fighting that escalated into war last month.

Sheikh Naim Kassem, the acting leader of Hezbollah, on Tuesday said its military capabilities are still intact and that it has replaced all of its senior commanders after weeks of heavy Israeli airstrikes across large parts of Lebanon, including targeted strikes that killed much of its top command in a matter of days.

He also said Israeli forces have not been able to advance after launching a ground incursion into Lebanon last week. The Israeli military said a fourth division is now taking part in the incursion, which has expanded to the west, but operations still appear to be confined to a narrow strip along the border.

Lebanese men ride a scooter past a damaged building hit by an Israeli airstrike in Dahiyeh, Beirut, Lebanon, Monday, October 7, 2024
Lebanese men ride a scooter past a damaged building hit by an Israeli airstrike in Dahiyeh, Beirut, Lebanon, Monday, Oct. 7, 2024. (AP)

The Israeli military says it has dismantled militant infrastructure along the border and killed hundreds of Hezbollah fighters.

On Tuesday, it said a strike in Beirut had killed Suhail Husseini, who it described as a senior commander responsible overseeing logistics, budget and management of the militant group.

There was no immediate comment from Hezbollah, and no way to confirm battlefield claims made by either side.

“We are firing hundreds of rockets and dozens of drones. A large number of settlements and cities are under the fire of the resistance,” Kassem said in a video address, speaking from an undisclosed location.

“Our capabilities are fine and our fighters are deployed along the frontlines.”

He said Hezbollah’s top leadership was directing the war and that the commanders killed by Israel have been replaced.

People visit the site of the Nova music festival, where hundreds of revelers were killed and abducted by Hamas and taken into Gaza
People visit the site of the Nova music festival, where hundreds of revelers were killed and abducted by Hamas and taken into Gaza, on the one-year anniversary of the attack. (AP)

“We have no vacant posts,” he added.

The Israeli military said 85 projectiles were launched from Lebanon toward northern Israel in a significant burst of fire on Tuesday.

Israel’s aerial defence intercepted most of the rockets, the military said. A 70-year-old woman was moderately wounded by shrapnel and Israeli media aired footage of what appeared to be minor damage to buildings near the coastal city of Haifa.

Thousands of protesters have taken to the streets in Australian cities over the escalating conflict in the Middle East. Tomorrow also marks the one year anniversary of the October 7 attacks which sparked the latest conflict.

Thousands of pro-Palestine protesters march in Australian cities

The military also said it struck Hezbollah targets in the southern Beirut suburbs, known as the Dahiyeh, where the militant group is headquartered.

Hezbollah began firing rockets into northern Israel on October 8, 2023, the day after Hamas’ surprise attack into Israel ignited the war in Gaza. Hezbollah and Hamas are both allied with Iran, and Hezbollah says its attacks are aimed at aiding the Palestinians. Israel began carrying out airstrikes in response and the conflict steadily escalated, erupting into a full-fledged war last month.

The Lebanese militant group has said it will stop the attacks if there is a ceasefire in Gaza, but months of diplomatic efforts on that front have repeatedly stalled.

Israel has inflicted a punishing wave of blows against Hezbollah in recent weeks and says it will keep fighting until tens of thousands of displaced Israeli citizens can return to their homes in the north.

Flame and smoke rise from an Israeli airstrike in Dahiyeh, Beirut, Lebanon, on Monday, October 7, 2024. (AP)

More than 1300 people have been killed in Lebanon and over a million displaced since the fighting escalated in mid-September.

Since then, Hezbollah has extended its rocket fire into central Israel, setting off air raid sirens in the country’s commercial hub of Tel Aviv. Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen have also launched missiles that reached central Israel.

Most of the projectiles have been intercepted or fallen in open areas, disrupting life in Israel but causing few casualties and little property damage.

A man takes pictures by his mobile phone of destroyed buildings hit by Israeli airstrikes in Dahiyeh, Beirut, Lebanon, on Monday, October 7, 2024. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

Last, week Iran launched its own barrage of some 180 ballistic missiles at Israel, in what it said was a response to the killing of Nasrallah, an Iranian general who was with him at the time and Ismail Haniyeh, the top leader of Hamas, who was killed in an explosion in Iran’s capital in July.

Israel has vowed to respond to the missile attack, without saying when or how.

Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant is in Washington this week to meet with his American counterpart, Lloyd Austin. The Biden administration says it is opposed to an Israeli attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities, which could escalate regional tensions even further.

FOLLOW US ON WHATSAPP HERE: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, celebrity and sport via our WhatsApp channel. No comments, no algorithm and nobody can see your private details.
You May Also Like

'Not the act of a friend': Prime Minister condemns Trump tariffs

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has condemned US President Donald Trump’s “Liberation Day”…

Oh, Get Out! Hamas Lied About Casualties?

This is some breaking news, tell you what. *insert eyeroll* But…

Former Ranger Mats Zuccarello honors Sam Rosen with pregame jersey

One former Ranger honored a retiring sports media legend. Wild forward Mats…

Heartbreaking new details emerge about Val Kilmer’s final days before shock death aged 65

Val Kilmer was ‘bed bound’ for years as his health failed before…