New statistics have revealed eight Adelaide bus drivers were assaulted in a single month, prompting urgent calls for safety changes.

The state opposition is urging the government to fast track measures to better protect both staff and passengers.

Footage obtained by 9News shows a commuter marched off a southern suburbs bus after hurling threats at its driver.

Numbers of attacks on bus drivers in Adelaide are on the rise
Footage obtained by 9News shows a commuter marched off a southern suburbs bus – after hurling threats at its driver. (Nine)

On the radio the driver issued a plea for help

“Can’t respond, because he’s threatening to kill me, OK? You’ve got to send somebody in here, quick,” he says.

Video from a train brawl was captured on the Seaford line just a fortnight ago.

It’s behaviour all too familiar to public transport workers.

“It’s totally unacceptable that they’re not safe at work,” Sam McIntosh from the Transport Workers Union said 

The opposition called on the government to act.

Numbers of attacks on bus drivers in Adelaide are on the rise
Numbers of attacks on bus, tram and train staff in Adelaide are on the rise. (Nine)

“The data is showing that we really do have a problem here in South Australia,” Shadow Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Vincent Tarzia said.

In December 2023, there were eight staff and six passengers assaulted on buses and 120 reports of disorderly behaviour.

On trams four customers were assaulted, and on trains there were 50 reports of disorderly behaviour and 164 of vandalism.

Better safety screening for bus drivers is a solution on the way but the opposition says it’s taking too long.

“For these protective screens to take four years to roll out, that’s just absolutely ridiculous,” Tarzia said.

Attorney-General Kyam Maher said they were being installed gradually on hundreds of buses.

The union said the government agreed to hear its concerns in a meeting next month.

The opposition also wants to see more police on trains, trams and busses and says there should be better enforcement of barring orders to ensure drivers don’t have to deal with repeat offenders.

“The reports that we’re getting is that a number of people who may have been barred, that actually isn’t being patrolled or enforced as much as it could be,” Tarzia said.

Maher said there are officers at stations and on the rail system, as well as personal safety officers on trains.

You May Also Like

Tragic Details About Fox News Contributor Kat Timpf's Life

Noam Galai/Getty Images Fox…

Witnesses describe 'all-out brawl' at Rabbitohs-Roosters match

Witnesses have described seeing an “all-out brawl” at an NRL match between…

Obama and Harris publicly rebuke Trump's second-term actions

Former President Barack Obama and former Vice President Kamala Harris on Thursday…

US consumers rush to buy big-ticket items before Trump's tariffs kick in

John Gutierrez had been thinking about buying a new laptop for the…