A promising footy star critically injured in a horror crash has defied the odds and is one step closer to returning home after doctors initially feared he would never make it out of intensive care.
Darcy Metcalf, 17, was being driven to have a photo taken with his junior AFL team when the Audi A3 hatchback he was in slammed into a tree in the northern Perth suburb of Greenwood last July.
The Northern Knight Cats junior was rushed to Royal Perth Hospital with multiple broken bones and a catastrophic brain injury.
A GoFundMe page launched by family friend Chailee Richards last week detailed the grim prognosis Darcy’s parents initially received from doctors.

Darcy Metcalf has defied the odds with his recovery from a devastating crash in Perth
‘In the early days, medical specialists told his family to prepare for the fact that Darcy may not make it out of ICU,’ the page stated.
‘They were told it was unlikely he’d ever be well enough to be on a hospital ward, let alone come home.’
Almost a year on from the crash, Darcy is now undergoing intensive rehabilitation at Fiona Stanley Hospital.
‘His recovery is slow but progressing. He’s reached the point where he’s desperate to be home with his family, and his medical team are working towards discharging him within the next eight weeks,’ the page states.

The single vehicle accident (pictured) in Perth’s north left Darcy with broken bones and catastrophic brain injury
Darcy, who has been unable to speak since the accident, has already spent some days at home, including an overnight stay.
For the short term, the family have set up a hospital bed in the living room with a curtain for privacy.
However, they plan to transform the garage into an independent living space for Darcy with bathroom, small kitchenette and sleeping quarters to accommodate carers.
A mounted mobility scooter carrier rack will also be needed to give Darcy the freedom to attend therapy sessions and outings.
‘I’m privileged to be given the opportunity to be the voice for Darcy and his family, who have endured unimaginable heartache since the accident,’ Ms Richards wrote on the page.
‘They need our help to bring him home.’
‘Darcy’s home isn’t designed for the level of round-the-clock care he’ll need.
‘He can’t safely make it down the narrow hallway to his bedroom, and the bathroom and toilet are too small to close the door and give him the privacy and dignity he deserves.’

Following his stunning progress there are hopes that Darcy (pictured in intensive care) will be able to return home in the next couple of months
The $75,000 fundraising goal has already been surpassed within a week with $82,603 pledged by Tuesday night.
‘I’m scrambling to keep up with the thank-you messages — we’ve had 700 individual donations so far,’ Ms Richards told Seven News.
While there is no guarantee Darcy will regain his ability to walk, his family haven’t given up hope.
Darcy now uses an iPad to communicate and to follow all his favourite sports.
‘What’s saddest about Darcy’s story is that his accident happened just as his family started to see Darcy blossom and come into his own, with conviction in himself and big dreams for his future,’ Ms Richards wrote.