One Nation has been called to apologise for a “repugnant” video released by party leader Pauline Hanson that mocks people with a disability in an attempt to discredit the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
Two of Australia’s peak advocacy bodies for people who live with a disability – People with Disability Australia (PWDA) and Advocacy for Inclusion (AFI) – called on One Nation to remove the video and replace it with a public apology.

Hanson on Friday morning released the clip on her social media channels. 9News.com.au has decided against sharing the video, as it mocks people who have a disability on multiple occasions.

Pauline Hanson in the Senate
Hanson on Friday morning released the clip, which mocks people who have a disability on multiple occasions. (Alex Ellinghausen/Sydney Morning Herald)

It also describes the NDIS as a scam, claiming that conditions covered by the scheme include a stubbed toe, ”having trouble concentrating”, and voting for the Greens, who currently have 14 more seats across both houses of federal parliament than One Nation.

“The insensitive cruelty of this propaganda by the Hanson team stoops to new lows, with its offensive, inappropriate and inaccurate depictions of disability supports under the NDIS,” PWDA president Nicole Lee said.

“The NDIS not only improves the lives of ordinary people with disability but poses huge benefits to the social fabric of all Australians with or without disability.

“Through the NDIS, people with disability are one of the biggest contributors to the Australian economy delivering $2.25 for every dollar spent in the scheme or more than $2 billion a year.”

More than half a million Australians received support from the NDIS in 2022. (Supplied)

The AFI’s Craig Wallace, a long-term NDIS campaigner, also criticised the timing of the video.

“The video inspires hatred against disabled people and is a particularly nasty and vile depiction of the lives of highly vulnerable people with disability released on Good Friday, which is a day of love and reflection for many people,” he said.

“It blatantly misrepresents that people can receive NDIS support for temporary conditions like a stubbed toe when the reality is the NDIS is actually highly limited and constrained to people with permanent and significant impairment.

“Many people still struggle to get basic equipment or personal care, others have had plans cut, and the prolonged assessments and bureaucracy mean that this is hardly a luxury.

“It is also inaccurate to suggest that people with disability are ‘scamming’ the scheme when we know we are actually more likely to be the victims of scams, poor services and rip-offs by services and businesses seeking to profit from disabled people.”

Bill Shorten and Kurt Fearnley during a press conference
NDIA chair Kurt Fearnley (centre) with Minister for Government Services Bill Shorten last year. After his appointment, Fearnley said Australia “needs an NDIS that’s trusted”. (Alex Ellinghausen)

The NDIS was established under the Gillard government in 2013, but in recent years has faced criticism for reported delays, inadequate funding and support for its participants.

Fearnley is the first person with a disability appointed to the position.

“The country needs an NDIS that’s trusted, that is efficient, that is effective,” he said after being named as the new chairperson.

The scheme cost taxpayers around $35 billion last year to provide support to 535,000 participants.

An estimated 4.4 million Australians live with a disability.

Sign up here to receive our daily newsletters and breaking news alerts, sent straight to your inbox.
You May Also Like

4 Times Karoline Leavitt Aged Herself With Frumpy Outfits

Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images It’s…

Americans shun Easter eggs as prices skyrocket — so they’re dyeing these foods instead

Forget the eggs. It’s no surprise that the exorbitantly high cost of…

‘Dying For Sex’ Is Sexy And Steamy Television With A Major Purpose

You can’t go if you never came.  Broadly speaking, that’s the idea…

Iconic Australian fashion designer dies at age 73

Iconic Australian fashion designer Perri Cutten has died at age 73. Owners…