A judge in Germany has ordered the suspect in a deadly Christmas market ramming attack to be held in pre-trial detention following a late-night court appearance as authorities face growing accusations they could have done more to prevent it.
The motive for the attack is unclear but the suspect is a 50-year-old Saudi citizen who has lived in Germany for more than a decade and worked to help Saudis leave his home country.
A couple embrace each other in front of flowers and candles laid down at the Johannis church close to the Christmas market. (AP Photo/Ebrahim Noroozi)

On social media, he has been a fervent critic of Islam and prosecutors suggested he may have become embittered with how Germany treats Saudi refugees.

Recent messages have grown increasingly threatening. One says “if Germany wants to kill us, we will slaughter them, die, or go to prison with pride”.

“The magistrate ordered pre-trial detention for five counts of murder, several counts of attempted murder and several counts of dangerous bodily harm,” a statement from police early on Sunday (Sunday evening AEDT) said.

“The accused was taken to a correctional facility accordingly.”

The police also released additional details on the victims of Friday’s attack. The dead include a nine-year-old boy and four women aged 45, 52, 67 and 75, according to the statement.

The attack has been met with confusion and anger from the public and politicians, with questions raised over potential security lapses just two months before federal elections where immigration is likely to be a flashpoint issue.

Clothes and blankets lie on chairs at the Christmas market, where a car drove into a crowd on Friday evening. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)
Teddy bears were laid together with candles near the Christmas market. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)

Germany stepped up security at Christmas markets – a fixture of the festive season – following a deadly car ramming in Berlin in 2016.

But Magdeburg police chief Tom-Oliver Langhans said on Saturday that the attacker was able to gain access to the market using emergency exit points, usually reserved for ambulances and other emergency vehicles.

At the same conference, city official Ronni Krug insisted the security concept for the Magdeburg Christmas market was “constantly being revised and modified”

“How this case could come about must first be investigated by the police. I will not indulge in speculation,” Krug said.

“But you can rest assured that we will continue to update the security concept, which we are constantly updating anyway, once we have reached an assessment with our colleagues from the police.”

People embrace as they mourn the victims near the Christmas Market, where a car drove into a crowd on Friday evening, in Magdeburg, Germany, on Sunday, December 22, 2024 (AP Photo/Ebrahim Noroozi)

Saudi authorities had previously warned their German counterparts about the suspected attacker, on several occasions, two sources with knowledge of the communications told CNN.

CNN reached out to the German Foreign Ministry for comment about the warnings and was referred to the Ministry of Interior, which in turn referred CNN to the public prosecutor’s office in Magdeburg. CNN has not received a response from the prosecutor’s office.

But speaking to German public broadcaster ZDF, Holger Münch, the president of Germany’s federal criminal office confirmed, “We ourselves were once the recipient of a tip-off from Saudi Arabia in November 2023”.

He said proceedings were initiated and Saxony-Anhalt police took “appropriate investigative measures” however the information they had on Taleb al-Abdulmohsen was too “unspecific” and he was “not known for violent acts”.

Candles, flowers and wreaths sit in front of the entrance to St John’s Church early on Sunday, December 22, 2024, in Magdeburg, Germany, after a car drove into a crowd at a Christmas market. (Sebastian Kahnert/dpa via AP)

German politicians from opposite ends of the political spectrum seized on Friday’s deadly attack to attack the coalition government.

Sahra Wagenknecht, leader of the far-left Sahra Wagenknecht Alliance party, called for Interior Minister Nancy Faeser to explain “why so many tips and warnings were ignored beforehand”.

Bernd Baumann, the parliamentary head of the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD), demanded a special parliamentary session be called to discuss security issues, in a post on X.

You May Also Like

Instant karma as man yanks 10ft croc’s tail before the beast snaps back and sinks its jaws into his arm

A daredevil who pulled a crocodile’s tail then rested his hands on…

'Snow White' Post Morten: A Cornucopia of Left-Media Delusion

I know, folks, I know. Another article on “Snow White?” Really?…

Australian shares take $35 billion hit as Trump tariffs spook markets

Australian shares took a $35 billion pounding in early trading today, following…

Japanese F1 Grand Prix practice LIVE: Up-to-the-minute coverage as Red Bull’s brutal driver change is put to the test

By SHAYNE BUGDEN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 22:08 EDT, 3 April…