DETROIT, Mich. — Ford is recalling nearly 383,000 SUVs in the U.S. because the touch screens may not display a camera image when backing up.
The recall covers certain 2020 to 2023 Ford Explorers and Lincoln Aviators, and some 2020 to 2022 Lincoln Corsairs. All are equipped with 360-degree cameras.
Ford says in government documents posted Friday that the video output can fail, preventing the rear camera image from being displayed. That can reduce rear visibility and increase the risk of a crash.
The company says it has more than 2,000 warranty reports about the problem. It’s aware of 17 minor crashes but no injuries.
Many of the same vehicles were recalled for the same problem in 2021. Vehicles that were repaired previously will have to be fixed again.
Dealers will update image processing software. Owners will be notified by letter starting Feb. 20.
US probes complaints of parts flying off of Ford Explorers
The U.S. government’s road safety agency is also investigating complaints that windshield trim panels can fly off of Ford Explorers while they’re traveling at highway speeds.
Read Related Also: Is Nelly Furtado Making Music With Madonna?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it has 164 complaints about the trim pieces detaching on 2011 through 2019 Explorer SUVs. The probe covers about 1.86 million vehicles.
The parts could hit the windshield of following vehicles or even a motorcycle rider, possibly causing loss of control and a crash, the agency said.
The agency doesn’t have any reports of crashes or injuries, according to a document posted Tuesday.
NHTSA says it will determine how often the problem happens and the safety consequences of the trim pieces flying off the vehicles.
The investigation could lead to a recall, but so far there hasn’t been one.
Ford says it’s working with NHTSA on the investigation.
Copyright © 2023 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.