A far-right group founder sentenced to 18 years for seditious conspiracy is among hundreds of people convicted of crimes related to the January 6 insurrection at the US Capitol building in 2021 who have already left prison following pardons from President Donald Trump.

Officials told Associated Press that more than 200 people had been released since Trump’s sweeping acts of clemency on the first day of his presidency.

Among them was Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes, who was later pictured talking to reporters outside DC Central prison.

Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes talks to reporters outside the DC Central Detention Facility, after being released from a jail in Maryland. (AP)

Trump defended his decision to pardon people who were charged and convicted of assaulting police officers during the riot, despite having run as an ally of law enforcement.

“I am the friend of police, more than any president who’s ever been in this office,” he said.

Trump told reporters at the White House that those he pardoned had already served years in prison. And he claimed murderers often aren’t charged for their crimes.

“We pardoned people who were treated unbelievably poorly,” he said.

President Donald Trump defended his decision to pardon the rioters. (AP)

Trump pardoned, commuted the prison sentences or vowed to dismiss the cases of all of the 1500-plus people charged with crimes connected to the riot.

But at least one of them believes the pardons are the wrong move.

Jason Riddle, a Navy veteran, received a pardon for his actions at the Capitol that day when he was among the crowds who pushed their way inside. At the time, investigators said that he was drinking a bottle of wine and stole a book on Senate procedure.

He eventually pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 90 days in jail and three years of probation.

Trump said the prisoners had been treated poorly. (AP)

Riddle said he was intoxicated during the riot and was struggling with alcohol at the time. He told News 9 that he believes his arrest was warranted and is ultimately grateful for his conviction because it changed his life.

“It was definitely – 100 per cent warranted – getting arrested, [I’m] thankful I did,” Riddle said.

“Good thing it didn’t happen before my life was turned around. I’m grateful he couldn’t pardon till now, because my life was terrible at the time of the riot.”

Unlike some others who were also convicted for their actions at the Capitol on January 6, Riddle shared that he was not happy to see the news of the pardons.

“Just because the guy who started the riot said, ‘It’s OK,’ it means absolutely nothing. It’s very stupid. And, in fact, it’s making it worse. Now, it’s drawing attention to it,” Riddle said.

Pro-Trump supporters storm the US Capitol
The violent insurrection resulted in several deaths. (Photo by Samuel Corum / Getty Images)

Riddle added that he does not believe anyone should be celebrating.

“Capitol Police officers are dead. People have died, and, you know, more people are going to die if, you know, by feeding this lie and carrying on with the charade,” Riddle said.

“Obviously, it sounds better to say that I’m a hero and a patriot who I would love to, you know, I would love to believe that, but I know it’s not true.”

Right-wing leaders to be released

“We are deeply thankful for President Trump for his actions today,” said James Lee Bright, an attorney who represented Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes, who was serving an 18-year prison sentence after being convicted of seditious conspiracy and other crimes.

It’s unclear how quickly the defendants may be released from prison, though Rhodes is one of those who has already left.

An attorney for Enrique Tarrio, the former Proud Boys national chairman who was sentenced to 22 years in prison for seditious conspiracy, said he expected his client to be released from prison Monday night.

Trump cuts cake with large sword before he exits Commander-in-Chief ball

“This marks a pivotal moment in our client’s life, and it symbolizes a turning point for our nation,” attorney Nayib Hassan said in a statement.

“We are optimistic for the future, as we now turn the page on this chapter, embracing new possibilities and opportunities.”

Trump had suggested in the weeks leading up to his return to the White House that instead of blanket pardons, he would look at the January 6 defendants on a case-by-case basis.

And Vice President JD Vance had said just days ago that people responsible for the violence during the Capitol riot “obviously” should not be pardoned.

Fourteen defendants, including several convicted of seditious conspiracy, had their sentences commuted, while the rest of those found guilty of Jan. 6 crimes were granted “full, complete and unconditional” pardons.

You May Also Like

Woman is found dead at Port Melbourne

By CAITLIN POWELL FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 21:50 EDT, 2 April…

Oh, Get Out! Hamas Lied About Casualties?

This is some breaking news, tell you what. *insert eyeroll* But…

Disney World excluded from top 5 of the US’ most beloved theme parks — here’s the hidden gem that takes top spot

Step aside, Mickey Mouse. A new study revealed America’s favorite amusement parks…

Jalen Brunson could be back in Knicks’ lineup this weekend

CLEVELAND — Jalen Brunson traveled with the Knicks on their road trip…