Ex-Cyclone Alfred live updates: Emergency flood warnings are issued and hundreds of schools remain closed

Ex-Tropical Cyclone Alfred continues to wreak havoc in south-east Queensland and northern NSW.

Thousands of public schools remain closed while emergency flood warnings have been issued for several regions.

Follow Daily Mail Australia’s live coverage of the tropical low. 

Emergency flood warnings issued

Emergency flood warnings have been issued across south-east Queensland and northern NSW.

Major flood warnings have been issued for Bremer River and Warrill Creek, as well as Laidley Creek.

Moderate flood warnings have been issued for Lockyer Creek and Logan and Albert River.

Major flooding is possible along the Tweed River at Tumbulgum.

Minor flooding is occurring at Murwillumbah and Chinderan.

The NSW State Emergency Service has issued a severe weather warning for Lismore and Tamworth.

Heavy rainfall is forecast for the towns, which could also lead to flash flooding in Armidale, Gunnedah, Moree and Narrabri.

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 09: A resident walks on the flooded waters of Edmondstone Street in the suburb of Newmarket on March 09, 2025 in Brisbane, Australia. Australia's east coast is experiencing severe weather as ex-Tropical Cyclone Alfred moves south. While downgraded from cyclone status, the weather system continues to bring damaging winds, heavy rainfall, and flash flooding, particularly in the Gold Coast and northern NSW regions. Authorities have issued severe weather warnings, and coastal areas remain at risk of significant erosion and hazardous surf conditions. Residents are urged to stay updated on local warnings, avoid floodwaters, and prepare for ongoing disruptions. (Photo by Albert Perez/Getty Images)

Hundreds of schools closed

Hundreds of schools across south-east Queensland and northern NSW will remain shut on Monday as ex-Tropical Cyclone Alfred continues to cause havoc.

Queensland schools unscathed by the storm will reopen only if it’s safe to do so.

‘Where it’s safe to do so, schools will reopen with the exception of the Gold Coast,’ Premier David Crisafulli said.

More than 680 state, Catholic and indepedent schools in Queensland will remain closed on Monday. Full list here.

An additional 255 schools also remain shut in northern NSW. Full list here.

‘As the full impact of ex-Tropical Cyclone Alfred continues to unfold and clean-up efforts begin to get under way, our priority is ensuring the safety of students and staff,’ NSW education minister Prue Car said.

The NSW closues could delay the start of NAPLAN tests for public school students in years 3,5,7 and 9.

The NAPLAN tests are scheduled to take place from Wednesday, March 12 to Monday, March 24.

Major flooding leaves thousands stranded

Thousands have been left stranded as floodwaters cut off evacuation routes across northern NSW.

The State Emergency Service said 1,800 are already isolated while another 18,500 have been warned to prepare to be cut off.

‘Along the Richmond River, residents at Bungawalbin have been advised it is too late to leave the area and to seek refuge at higher ground due to major flooding. Major flooding is also occurring at Coraki,’ an update read.

NSW SES Assistant Commissioner Sean Kearns said he was relieved to see some weather warnings had been downgraded over the weekend, but the worst was yet to come for many.

‘Major flooding and isolations are still occurring across many communities, and the predicted risk of heavy rain to continue throughout Monday and possibly into Tuesday will only exacerbate this risk,’ he said.

‘We may see renewed river rises, but we’re hoping we have seen the worst of the rain from this event.’

More than 220,000 properties still without power

Almost 224,000 homes and businesses across south-east Queensland were still without power early Monday morning, according to the Energex website.

Gold Coast was the worst hit region with 72,694 customers impacted, followed by Brisbane (45,106), Redland City (34,907), Moreton Bay (34, 060) and Logan (30, 342).

It comes after Energex crews worked around the clock to restore power to 100,000 properties across the region on Sunday

‘While it’s a relief to be making headway, we’re also acutely conscious that it continues to be a long, hard slog for others, some of whom were hit in the first early waves of #TCAlfred,’ it said.

‘We have teams working around the clock, and tomorrow we’ll build on today’s gains – we just need the weather to work with us, and for flooding to hold off.’

A general view shows erosion at Miami Beach after the sand was washed away during Tropical Cyclone Alfred on the Gold Coast on March 9, 2025. After days hovering off the coast as a category 2 tropical cyclone generating heavy weather across the region, Alfred weakened into a tropical depression before making landfall on March 8 evening. (Photo by David GRAY / AFP) (Photo by DAVID GRAY/AFP via Getty Images)

You May Also Like

'Not the act of a friend': Prime Minister condemns Trump tariffs

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has condemned US President Donald Trump’s “Liberation Day”…

Heartbreaking new details emerge about Val Kilmer’s final days before shock death aged 65

Val Kilmer was ‘bed bound’ for years as his health failed before…

Civil war in Myanmar enters temporary ceasefire as earthquake death toll hits 3000

Myanmar’s ruling military has declared a temporary ceasefire in the country’s civil…

Woman's body discovered near Port Melbourne pier

The body of a woman has been discovered near a pier in…