Abandoned resort island that once hosted Hollywood stars is set to be seized from its billionaire foreign owner – and when you see the state of it, you won’t be surprised!
- Double Island in QLD’s Far North has fallen into disrepair
- The resort island previously hosted Hollywood actors
- QLD Govt set to seize island from Hong Kong owner
<!–
<!–
<!– <!–
<!–
<!–
<!–
The Queensland Government has launched forfeiture action against the Hong Kong owner of a once luxurious island resort, now derelict and abandoned.
Double Island, about 30 minutes north of Cairns in Far North Queensland, was purchased by billionaire Benny Wu for $5.68m in 2012.
A resort he built there once entertained the likes of Jennifer Aniston and Keanu Reeves, but in the years since has fallen into disrepair.

Double Island, about 30 minutes north of Cairns in Far North Queensland

The QLD Government has now moved to begin forfeiture proceedings against Fortune Island Holding Company (pictured, Double Island)

Double Island lessee Benny Wu failed to meet a March 31 deadline to have day use facilities for the public open and for the resort to be operational
The state government gave Mr Wu an ultimatum to fix up the resort, and a deadline of March 31.
Read Related Also: Rachel McAdams’ armpit hair sparks mixed reaction: ‘That’s just nasty’
That’s now passed, and last Monday the Department of Resources notified Fortune Island Holding Company it would ask the Land Court to determine whether its lease over the island should be forfeited.
‘Lessees on government property are required to meet the conditions on their leases,’ said Queensland Resources Minister Scott Stewart.
‘Where lessees don’t meet their obligations, we will not hesitate to take action to protect these islands and the interests of all Queenslanders.’

Pictures from the island show abandoned furniture, buildings, and facilities like a pool

Double Island is about 30 minutes north of Cairns in Far North Queensland, about 1.5km from the coast
‘I expected action to be taken against the Double Island leaseholder so I welcome this important step in beginning the process of forfeiting the lease,’ said Member for Barron River Craig Crawford.
‘Double Island was a jewel in Far North Queensland’s tourism crown but has been left for too long so this news will be appreciated by the community.’
Images from the 17.8ha island show abandoned boats and furniture among the safari-style accommodation, with paving thick with grime and paths overgrown with weeds.

Double Island was purchased by Mr Wu for $5.68m in 2012, and leased until 2099