Donald Trump’s campaign has officially announced that the former president plans to return to Butler, Pennsylvania – the location of the first assassination attempt on his life this year – for a rally on October 5.

“President Donald J Trump will return to Butler, Pennsylvania to hold a rally on the very same ground where he came within a quarter of an inch of losing his life less than three months ago,” the campaign said in a news release.

CNN had previously reported Trump’s plans to return to Butler on October 5.

Republican presidential candidate former President Donald Trump is surrounded by US Secret Service agents after a shooting. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

“During his visit, President Trump will honour the memory of Corey Comperatore, who heroically sacrificed his life to shield his wife and daughters from the bullets on that terrible day,” the campaign said.

“President Trump will also recognise the two other Americans who were wounded by the shooter, David Dutch and James Copenhaver.

“He will express his deep gratitude to law enforcement and first responders, and thank the entire community for their outpouring of love and support in the wake of the attack.”

Thomas Matthew Crooks opened fire from a nearby rooftop after Trump had taken the stage at a rally in Butler on July 13.

Trump meets with former UK prime minister after attempted assassination

The former president suffered a slight injury to his ear as Secret Service agents rushed the stage.

Crooks was killed by Secret Service counter-snipers.

So far, an investigation into the assassination attempt has turned up no solid motivation for Crooks’ actions, save that he had looked up previous presidential assassinations online, and had searched for information about both Trump and President Joe Biden.

FOLLOW US ON WHATSAPP HERE: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, celebrity and sport via our WhatsApp channel. No comments, no algorithm and nobody can see your private details.