There was no spectacle outside Darwin Local Court today but inside a packed courtroom, a well-known name was the centre of attention.
The court case for Top End croc wrangler Matt Wright returned before Judge Greg Macdonald almost two months after the Netflix star made his first court appearance in November last year.
There was no sign of Wright, who remains on bail on the Sunshine Coast with his wife and newborn baby.
The 43-year-old is facing seven charges over what prosecutors allege was an attempt to derail an investigation into a fatal crash that killed his friend Chris Wilson while on a crocodile-egg-harvesting trip.
Wright was yet to enter a plea although his Sydney-based barrister, Greg Jones, previously told media Wright denied any wrongdoing and would fight the charges.
Wright’s co-accused — chopper pilot Michael Burbidge and former police officer Neil Mellon — were also represented by their lawyers today as all three men were excused from appearing in person.
Today’s proceedings were expected to determine whether the case would move to a trial in the Supreme Court.
Instead, all three matters were delayed another six weeks as the ongoing investigation continued to bring new evidence to light.
The prosecution will make an application to the court on Friday to have Mr Wright’s bail altered.
Lawyer Giles O’Brien Hartcher indicated the changes would be opposed.
The deputy director of the Director of Public Prosecutions is expected to appear on Friday to make submissions to the court regarding the proposed changes to Wright’s bail conditions.
O’Brien Hartcher made a quick dash from court, refusing to answer questions from reporters.
Mellon’s lawyer, Sally Ozolins, also requested to have her client’s bail altered to allow him to gain access to his passport.
Ozolins told the court Mellon was looking to attend an overseas cruise in March and was also looking at a potential employment opportunity in Singapore.
She also sought to have Ray Murphy, a Darwin lawyer engaged in legal matters with Mellon’s wife, Senior Sergeant Sandi Mellon, removed from the non-contact list.
The sergeant is also due to appear before the courts next month after being charged with trespass and assault.
Wright, Burbidge and Mr Mellon will have their cases return to court on March 8.