News Group Newspapers (NGN), which owns The Sun, had argued that Grant didn’t bring his claims within a six-year time limit.
The judge dismissed Grant’s phone hacking claims on time limitation grounds, but said the case could proceed on the other allegations.
“It was only on seeing invoices disclosed … in 2021 that Mr. Grant believed that private investigators (PIs) had been instructed by The Sun to target him in various ways, particularly in 2011,” Fancourt wrote.
The case was argued during a hearing last month that also included phone hacking allegations by Prince Harry against News Group, Rupert Murdoch’s British newspapers.
Read Related Also: Is the UK actually making the four day work week work?
Fancourt’s ruling didn’t address the Duke of Sussex’s case because he wants to hear more about Harry’s allegations that he was prevented from bringing his claims much sooner because of a “secret agreement” between Buckingham Palace and Murdoch’s papers.
NGN has denied there was a “secret agreement.” The palace hasn’t responded to messages seeking comment on that or William’s alleged settlement.
A spokesperson for News Group issued a statement on Friday saying that it was pleased that the court threw out Grant’s phone hacking allegations.
“NGN strongly denies the various historical allegations of unlawful information-gathering contained in what remains of Mr. Grant’s claim,” the statement said.