A man has been arrested 25 years after the alleged murder of a woman in Sydney's eastern suburbs

  • Cold case breakthrough as man arrested
  • Denise Govendir allegedly murdered in 1998 

The husband of a woman who was found dead in Sydney’s eastern suburbs 25 years ago has been charged with murder.

Aaron Govendir, aged 81, was arrested in the Blue Mountains at 10.15am on Thursday in connection to the death of his wife, 53-year-old Denise Govendir, who was bludgeoned to death in their bedroom in March 1998.

Emergency services responded to reports of a home invasion where they located the body of the Ms Govendir inside the couple’s Dover Heights home about 2am on Tuesday March 10, 1998.

Police were told the occupants, Ms Govendir and then 55-year-old Aaron Govendir, had been assaulted by an unknown man who broke into their home under the pretence of being a police officer.

It was initially alleged the unknown man struck Govendir, knocking him out, before restraining his thumbs and toes with zip ties.

He was accused of then seriously assaulting Ms Govendir before fleeing the scene in a 1997 Ford Laser sedan, which was recovered 1.7km from the home in Rose Bay 11 days later.

Govendir claimed he called police after regaining consciousness. 

A coronial inquest between 2005 and 2008 confirmed Ms Govendir died from a blunt force head injury intentionally inflicted by a person or persons unknown.

However, that finding was followed by the declaration of Govendir being the most prominent person of interest in the case, also in 2008.

The Coroner at the time cited ‘significant circumstantial evidence’ implicating Govendir but said there was ‘insufficient evidence’ to indict him.

The lead detective on the case, Mark Murdoch, ended his submission to the inquiry by stating: ‘At the time of writing, Aaron Govendir still lives in the house where his wife of 30 years died a brutal death, and still drives the motor vehicle in which it is alleged his wife’s killer, or killers, made good their escape.’

A $1million reward was offered in late 2023 to help police solve the mystery cold case. 

Govendir was charged with murder and refused bail to appear in Penrith Local Court on Thursday.

Police will allege in court he fabricated the story about the home invasion to cover up her murder.

More to come.

A man has been arrested 25 years after the alleged murder of a woman in Sydney's eastern suburbs

A man has been arrested 25 years after the alleged murder of a woman in Sydney’s eastern suburbs 

You May Also Like

Peter Dutton accidentally leaves cameraman's head bloodied with botched kick

A TV cameraman has been left with a scratched forehead after he…

South Carolina has chance for March Madness repeat after rout of Texas

TAMPA, Fla. — Joyce Edwards fed Tessa Johnson who pulled up for…

Trump Gets a Win at the Supreme Court

The Trump administration picked up a win from the Supreme Court…

Al Sharpton calls on PepsiCo to restore DEI initiatives, threatens boycott

The Rev. Al Sharpton is giving PepsiCo three weeks to meet with…