Eight-year-old Elizabeth Rose Struhs died on January 7, 2022 at her family’s home in Toowoomba, west of Brisbane, after six days without her prescribed insulin shots for type-1 diabetes.

All 14 defendants faced Brisbane Supreme Court today and one-by-one stood and were asked if they wished to give evidence themselves, call witnesses or produce witnesses in their defence.

Eight-year-old Elizabeth Rose Struhs died on January 7, 2022 at her family’s home in Toowoomba after six days without her prescribed insulin shots for type-1 diabetes. (Supplied)

Elizabeth’s father, Jason Richard Struhs, 52, and Brendan Luke Stevens, the 62-year-old leader of her family’s church group, faced a judge-only trial for murder over the past eight weeks before Justice Martin Burns.

“No thank you, your Honour,” Struhs said when asked if he wanted to provide any form of evidence in his defence.

When asked the same question Stevens said: “No, I won’t. Thanks, your Honour”.

Elizabeth’s mother, Kerrie Elizabeth Struhs, 49, along with 11 other members of the congregation also faced trial charged with manslaughter.

They all declined to give testimony, produce evidence or call witnesses.

All 14 defendants have refused to enter pleas and represented themselves at trial.

Like any accused facing trial, the defendants are presumed innocent and are under no obligation to provide evidence in their own defence.

Justice Burns cannot take any negative inference from the decision by the defendants not to give evidence.

Elizabeth’s father Jason Richard Struhs and mother Kerrie Elizabeth Struhs. (Nine)

The prosecution completed its case on August 23 and Justice Burns spent more than a week hearing submissions on the admissibility of evidence.

Crown prosecutor Caroline Marco previously told Justice Burns the religious group, calling itself ‘The Saints’, had aided or encouraged Elizabeth’s parents to lower and then stop her doses of insulin as the treatment came from doctors and was created by man.

“Their extreme beliefs as a small congregation were that God would heal her,” Ms Marco said.

The defendants today told Justice Burns they intended to give at least one closing address to the trial but had not decided who would speak.

Justice Burns agreed to the defendants’ request to adjourn the trial until Thursday afternoon to give them time to discuss any closing statements.

“The submissions you make have to be about you and what you say I should do … ordinarily what you would need to cover is the evidence against you (and) the criminal responsibility that the Crown alleges,” Justice Burns said.

Elizabeth Struhs. (Supplied)

In response to questions, Justice Burns said the defendant with the most to say could be allowed to speak first and allow others to adopt parts of their closing address.

Stevens gave an opening address on behalf of all the defendants at the start of the trial.

The other defendants are Zachary Alan Struhs, 21, Loretta Mary Stevens, 67, Andrea Louise Stevens, 34, Sebastian James Stevens, 23, Therese Maria Stevens, 37, Acacia Naree Stevens, 31, Alexander Francis Stevens, 26, Camellia Claire Stevens, 28, Keita Courtney Martin, 22, Lachlan Stuart Schoenfisch, 34, and Samantha Emily Schoenfisch, 26.

You May Also Like

Dear Abby: My dad and his boss keep setting me up with losers

DEAR ABBY: I recently turned 30, and I find myself in kind…

Tim Tszyu vs Joey Spencer LIVE: Round-by-round updates and all the news from Aussie’s make-or-break fight

By SHAYNE BUGDEN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 21:03 EDT, 5 April…

New York State Will Defy Trump's DEI Order for K-12 Schools

On Thursday, the federal Department of Education sent a letter to…

British pensioner held hostage by the Taliban describes his ‘hell’ living in a cage, shackled to murderers and limited to one meal a day inside Afghanistan’s most notorious prison

A British pensioner held hostage for more than nine weeks by the…