The six-year-old was found unresponsive in a home in Munno Para and later died in hospital.
Charlie’s mother Crystal Hanley, 47, has been charged with manslaughter in relation to Charlie’s death and the criminal neglect of four other children – aged between eight and 14 – living in the same home.
Hanley faced Adelaide Magistrates Court today where she was granted bail to her home address.
The task force also investigated a second child’s death, Makai Wanganeen, who was taken to hospital while “very sick” in February last year.
A post-mortem found the seven-year-old died from “several serious health issues”.
Shane Wangannen, 50, has been arrested and charged over his son Makai’s alleged manslaughter.
The death of Jasmine Wilmott in 2018 was also part of the inquiry.
Jenni Wilmott was charged with criminal neglect in 2020 but the charges were dropped in 2021.
She has now been arrested again after police gathered new evidence.
The 54-year-old has now been charged with manslaughter
“The woman was further charged with other criminal offences arising from the same set of circumstances,” SA Police said.
Wangannen and Wilmott will face court on Thursday.
Assistant Commissioner John Venditto said police had collected physical, financial, forensic and expert evidence.
Read Related Also: Kate 'resents' not having final moment to say goodbye to Queen
None of the cases are linked, nor are the victims connected.
“It is extremely rare to charge an adult with the death of a child, to charge three in one day is unprecedented,” he said.
”The facts and circumstances that give rise to a charge of manslaughter are different in each case.
“What is the same, the adult charged with manslaughter owed a duty of care to the child at the time.”
There are not expected to be any further arrests over the deaths of Charlie, Makai or Jasmine.
Police would not detail the relationships between the accused and their alleged victims.
Manslaughter or criminal neglect convictions can carry a life sentence, Venditto said.
Last year, two reviews into the state’s child protection system were launched to investigate how systemic failings may have contributed to the deaths of Charlie and Makai.
Former police commissioner Mal Hyde found there were 500 South Australian children who could be living in danger and criminal law did not have enough power to prosecute parents.
There were 31 recommendations made and the government agreed to adopt them all.
Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.
If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or visit 1800RESPECT.org.au. In an emergency, call 000.