The embattled music festival industry in one Australian state has been handed a much-needed lifeline by the government.
New regulations and a fresh focus on funding for music festivals in NSW will see the state government help revive the industry, which has seen the likes of Bluesfest, Splendour in the Grass and Return to Rio axed this year alone.
Fans during Splendour in the Grass 2016 on July 22, 2016 in Byron Bay, Australia.
After a string of music festivals in NSW being axed, the state government has offered a lifeline. (Mark Metcalfe/Stringer/Getty)

The NSW government unveiled its two-year Contemporary Music Festival Viability Fund, which it says will “improve short-term viability for festival operators” and “retain contemporary music festivals” which are vital to the state’s music landscape.

Sound NSW established the fund to address financial pressures which have forced multiple festivals to fold, including rising costs, inflation, freight and the currency exchange. 

The fund will offer up to $500,000 per festival, with the emergency cash support available for two years for festivals with capacities of 15,000 or more.

It will kick in this month ahead of the summer festival season and is set to run until June 30, 2026.

Festival visitors enter one of the main entrances during day one of the Byron Bay Bluesfest on April 14, 2022 in Byron Bay, Australia. The music festival returns after a two-year break due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Bluesfest is one of several NSW events which have fallen victim to the big year of cancellations. (James D. Morgan/Getty)

There will also be amendments to the Music Festivals Act to help revive the struggling industry.

These reforms include giving festival operators more power to control spiralling costs.

Minister for Music and the Night-Time Economy John Graham said the fund was a response to the slow collapse of music festivals both in NSW and around Australia.

“NSW has had a strong music festival sector, but it has been under intense pressure. We have seen the chickens come home to roost after years of pressure, with major festivals failing,” Graham said.

People who attended the Spilt Milk festival in Canberra last weekend have been asked to monitor for symptoms of meningococcal.

Ten music festivals fold in 2024

“Festivals are an important place for music fans to experience the music they love together and form connections with artists and their community.

“Festivals are facing challenges across the globe and around Australia with the increased price of doing business, the costs of living crisis and changing audience behaviours.”

Groovin the Moo has cancelled its shows for 2024 just two months before it was set to kick off. (Instagram/Groovin the Moo)

Ryan Park, NSW Minister for Health, said the program will prioritise health and safety at music festivals.

“NSW Health continues to work closely with musical festivals to institute a range of harm reduction measures including deploying NSW Ambulance personnel; peer based harm reduction service providers; private medical providers onsite; as well as communications and awareness campaigns,” he said.

In May, NSW festival Return to Rio called it quits and blamed the rising costs of government regulations around music festivals, saying that police and medical costs had risen by “529 per cent” in the last year.

FOLLOW US ON WHATSAPP HERE: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, celebrity and sport via our WhatsApp channel. No comments, no algorithm and nobody can see your private details.
You May Also Like

Man accused of using 3-year-old son's death to defraud friends out of $1.3 million

A Sydney man has been accused of using his three-year-old son’s accidental…

South Australia to get first-ever direct flights to US

The flights will return to the US in the afternoons. “All these…

NYPD boosts synagogue security ahead of Passover as anti-Jewish crimes ‘jump off the page’: ‘No one should feel afraid to worship’

The NYPD is beefing up security at synagogues ahead of Passover, citing…

'Not the act of a friend': Prime Minister condemns Trump tariffs

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has condemned US President Donald Trump’s “Liberation Day”…