Ten people including three brothers have been found guilty of murder after a teenager was stabbed to death in a group attack in a public park.
A total of 12 defendants faced Queensland Supreme Court in Brisbane today for their verdicts, each charged with murdering Girum Mekonnen, following a judge-only trial in November 2024.

Prosecutor Nathan Crane previously told Justice Lincoln Crowley the 19-year-old died near the Zillmere park in Brisbane’s north on September 13, 2020.

Brisbane stabbing victim Girum Mekonnen.
Brisbane stabbing victim Girum Mekonnen. (Nine)

Justice Crowley heard the motive for the attack was retaliation for the bashing of John Wal Wal at an Ipswich shopping centre five days before Mekonnen was stabbed.

John Wal Wal is the brother of four of the defendants Kresto, Gabreal and Yohana Wal Wal and Santo Wal.

Justice Crowley today found Kresto Wal Wal, 29, Gabreal Wal Wal, 31, and Santo Wal, 36 each guilty of murder.

The three defendants were also found guilty of nine of 10 other charges including causing grievous bodily harm with intent, unlawful wounding with bats, knives and machetes and assault causing bodily harm against 10 alleged victims.

Majok Riel Majok, 23, Alex Edward Deng, 22, Chan Kuchmol Kon, 28, Joseph Lokolong, 28, Abraham Ajang Yaak, 30, Ben Abio, 23, Juma Makuol Deng Makuol, 28, were also found guilty of murder.

Girum Mekonnen died near a soccer club's playing fields at a park in the north Brisbane suburb of Zillmere at 5pm on September 13, 2020.
Girum Mekonnen died near a soccer club’s playing fields at a park in the north Brisbane suburb of Zillmere at 5pm on September 13, 2020. (9News)

“(Mekonnen) suffered a wound to his abdomen that severed the most significant vein in the human body … somebody had put a bladed weapon to the most vulnerable part of the body and pushed it in 25 centimetres,” Crane previously said.

Crane said Mekonnen had been part of a group of people drinking alcohol and playing cards at the park when the accused formed a “cordon” around the deck where they were sitting.

“They arrived. They produced weapons. They immediately started using the weapons,” he said.

Yohana Wal Wal today was found not guilty of murder and not guilty of 10 other charges related to assaults and wounding.

Malat Akoi Makuach, 25, was also found not guilty of murder and 10 other charges.

Each defendant said “no” when Justice Crowley asked if they had anything to say before being sentenced.

Justice Crowley said he intended to sentence the defendants on March 31.

You May Also Like

Oswaldo Cabrera insists he’s still a switch hitter — do the Yankees agree?

How does one get out of a platoon if he does not…

Adam Devine told by doctors he was dying after severe health complications from childhood accident

Adam Devine has revealed that doctors told him he may be dying…

Ex-Liberal MP will wait for almost a year for trial over child sex allegations

A former Liberal MP will have to wait almost a year to…

Married At First Sight’s ‘hottest bride ever’ Evelyn Ellis puts on busty display in a blue corset mini dress as she leads arrivals at Stan’s Love Triangle launch party

Former Married At First Sight bride Evelyn Ellis put on a busty…